How To Enable IPV6 Using Google Chrome

IPV6 on Chrome

IPV6 on Chrome

Let me tell you this first. I do not know if enabling this will break something on your network or PC. However, I am writing this to show you how to get this working. Please proceed after your own research.

Its pretty simple. Go to about:net-internals on your Chrome address bar. Click on DNS tab, you will see the following message

Default address family: ADDRESS_FAMILY_IPV4 (IPv6 disabled)

Click on “Enable IPV6” to get IPV6 going on your system.

Questions ? Suggestions ? More Info Anyone ?

• Kiran 19/02/2011, 3:37 am

I did not understand. What’s IPV6?

• chrome story 19/02/2011, 1:14 pm

hmm, see, you know what is an IP number right ? recently, they all go over, meaning, that we used all the possible combinations of those numbers.

People knew this would happen, so they were working on next version of it, with more numbers. So when the old system got over, they launched the new one 🙂

You can read the wiki link for more techy explanation of it 😉

• Benjamin Straw 19/02/2011, 6:45 am

Its kinda funny your following a blog for a browser and you dont know what an IP is…
    Well I hate to feel like I’m flaming you but, you could have googled IPV6
    This is what the first result is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6

• chrome story 19/02/2011, 1:15 pm

thanks for helping in Benjamin.

One thing is, anyone who uses for any reason, will need a browser, so readers here will be of all kinds ! 🙂

Kiran is my friend too, so she expected a non techy friendly explanation of what it is 😀

• Renji 19/02/2011, 12:10 pm

By default Chrome uses HTTP proxy configured for the computer, right? So IPv6 should work if its set there or is it necessary to enable it in the browser too?

• chrome story 19/02/2011, 1:17 pm

Yes, I have seen that Chrome’s proxy settings take me to IE’s settings page 😉

I do not have knowledge about how the IPv6 works and if it is fully ready for regular use. I didn’t want anyone in trouble … that is why I put a slight warning there .. 😀

what do you think ?

• kurtextrem 19/02/2011, 1:21 pm

http://prntscr.com/1klj7 there is no button for me 🙁

• TatoSgr 19/02/2011, 7:55 pm

There is no button for me neither

• apruler2012 19/02/2011, 8:21 pm

there isn’t a button for me either, but i know my ISP hasn’t enabled so thats probably the reason for there not being a button.

• Polaris 06/06/2011, 11:19 pm

I think so, I just enabled IPv6 on my CR-48 and got the same results on http://test-ipv6.comcast.net/ as before.

• Luis 14/11/2011, 6:22 am

If you find ADDRESS_FAMILY_UNSPECIFIED in the DNS tab it means that Chrome is using BOTH IPv4 and IPv6.
    Before enabling IPv6 you find ADDRESS_FAMILY_IPv4.

• Masood 05/01/2013, 5:01 pm

This technique doesn’t work whenever you have a long ping for IPv6 than IPv4! Chrome needs something like network.http.fast-fallback-to-IPv4 that is available in Firefox to work correctly!

• vickky 17/07/2013, 11:39 am

This is no longer working after crome updates, whats the new way?