You can change your Chromebook’s wallpaper automatically using the built-in Wallpaper Picker app or using third-party apps like Resplash. This article explains how to set this up.
Do you want to change your Chromebook’s wallpaper automatically, every day or maybe every hour? Here are your options.
Using the Chrome OS Wallpaper Picker App
The built-in Wallpapers app has the option to change your desktop background automatically. The customization options are limited, but you can choose a category and set it to refresh daily.
To do this:
Right-click anywhere on your current wallpaper and choose Set wallpaper.
Pick any category other than My images and turn Daily refresh on.
With this, your Chromebook’s wallpaper will automatically change every day. If you want more controls like refreshing the image every hour, or only while charging, etc, you will need a third-party app like Resplash.
Automatic Chromebook Wallpaper using Resplash
You can install Android wallpapers on your Chromebook to set automatic wallpapers. We will use the popular Resplash app to demonstrate this.
Install the Resplash app from here.
Click Allow when the app requests permission to access your Chromebook’s storage.
Click the hamburger menu (three lines)on the top-left corner and choose Auto wallpaper.
Turn Auto Wallpaper on.
You have the following customization options:
- WiFi: Check this if you want to download and change wallpaper only when connected to WiFi
- Charging: Check this if you want to download and change wallpaper only while charging.
- Idle: Check this to change the wallpaper only when your Chromebook is idle.
- Interval: Select how frequently the wallpaper will change. You have various options between 48 hours to 15 minutes.
- Category: Select “All”, “Featured” or “Custom”
- Custom Category (Enabled when you select Custom under Category): Enter a keyword. For example, “books” to use images tagged as “books” as wallpaper.
- Select screen: Home screen, Lock Screen or both.
- Auto Wallpaper History: A list of previous wallpapers, if you want to explore them or know more about them.
You can also manually change the wallpaper. For example, if you don’t like the current wallpaper that the Auto Wallpaper feature picked, you can force it to go to the next image. To do this, click the forward arrow on the Auto Wallpaper screen.
Hope you found this guide useful. If you have followup questions, please share them in the comments section.