Download Free Chromebook Guide for Students
Here is a free guide that I created specifically for students. If you are a student with a Chromebook, or an IT admin or a school teacher with a lot of kids using Chromebook around you, this a perfect guide to download and share with them. Click the image to download the PDF.
The Chromebook User Guide
If you are a Google Chrome user, you already know how to use Chrome OS and Chromebooks. This is my attempt to make things, even more, easier for you by providing a comprehensive user guide to Chrome OS. You might also want to join the Chromebook community on Google Plus for quick help and tips from user around the world.
Getting Started With Chromebook
If you are new to Chrome OS and Chromebooks, the best place to start is my Getting Started Guide for Chromebooks. This is a quick read and covers most of the things that new users get stuck with on their first day with Chrome OS.
You will need a Google account to use Chrome OS. You can later create local accounts called Supervised Users for specific use cases. However, a Google account is required to set up and manage Chrome OS.
- You can add up to 17 people to your Chromebook.
- For those quick browsing sessions and also to hand over your computer to guests without any worry, use the Guest Mode to sign in.
To change wallpaper on Chrome OS:
- Right click on the desktop or anywhere on the launcher (taskbar on the bottom of the desktop) the following menu appears:
- Choose Set wallpaper….
- The page with wallpapers will be displayed. You can browse categories or click All to list all available wallpapers.
- When a wallpaper is selected, it will be downloaded. It will take a few seconds to download and ready for you.
- To select a custom wallpaper, click Custom and browse and select a wallpaper from your Files app.
- Chek Surprise Me box on the Change Wallpaper screen to see a different wallpaper each time you login.
- Use apps to automatically download and set beautiful wallpapers automatically, every day.
- To take a screenshot of the entire screen, press Ctrl and You can take screenshot also using the menu. Go to Settings > More Tools and click Take screenshot.
- If you want to take screenshot of a specific part of the screen, here is the keyboard shortcut:Ctrl+ Shift+
- To take a screenshot of your Chromebook’s login screen, use CTRL +
Change Screen Resolution
Go to Settings and choose Display Settings. Or, you can directly open chrome://settings/display on your Omnibox.
Now on the Display Settings menu, choose your screen resolution or screen orientation.
This section helps you with basic tasks on your Chromebook
Stop Chromebook From Sleeping
You can keep your Chromebook awake and stop it from going to the sleep mode with a simple extension. Install Keep Awake for Chrome.
This extension adds an icon to the toolbar. Click this icon to activate the always on mode, whenever you need.
How To Add a New Bluetooth Device To Your Chromebook
To add a new Bluetooth device to your Chromebook:
- Click on the bottom right corner of the screen where your profile picture and time is.
- Choose Add device.
- Select the device you wish to add from the list of available Bluetooth devices and click Connect.
- Follow the on screen instructions to complete paring.
To connect to a device that is already added, click the device from the Add Bluetooth device popup menu and click Connect.
How to Change Owner Of a Chromebook
The very first user account that logs in to a new Chromebook is considered the “Owner account” on the Chromebook. If you are selling your Chromebook, or you bought a used Chromebook, here is how change the owner account.
Simple. You need to do a Powerwash (Factory reset in Chrome OS). After the reset, login using the new account and that will become the new owner of the Chromebook.
How to Powerwash Chromebook Without Logging In
What if you get your hands on a Chromebook with a user account already logged in? If the user has blocked signing in of new users from the login screen, you cannot format the Chromebook to change the owner or to get your self in. In such a scenario, you need a way to reset your Chromebook without logging in.
At the login screen, press ALT + CTRL + SHIFT +R and tap the Restart button. You will get the prompt to Powerwash the Chromebook. After the powerwash, login using the new account.
- How To Use Google Drive on a Chromebook
- How to Manually Set Date and Time On Your Chromebook
- How to transfer files from iPhone and Android devices
Productivity on Chromebook
Stay productive, with and without internet connection!
- Editing MS Word Documents on a Chromebook
- How to Screencast from Your Chromebook
- How To Download Torrents on Your Chromebook
- How to Extract Zip Files on a Chromebook
Tweaking Your Chromebook
This section contains information on tweaking your Chromebook. Changing little things can make your Chromebook experience better.
- How To Change Launcher / Taskbar Position in Chrome OS
- Getting Ready To Go Offline With Your Chromebook
- How to Get Windows Like Function Keys on Your Chromebook
- Chromebook Now has a night Mode. Here is how to enable it
- Want to resize mouse cursor size? Here is how
Understanding Chrome OS and Chromebooks
This section explains different parts of Chrome OS operating system and helps you learn how to use them better
- Getting To Know Your Chromebook’s Desktop
- Using Google Chrome OS File Manager
- Exploring Chromebook’s Settings
- Accessibility Options on Chromebooks
- Using the Google+ Photos App for Chrome OS
Managing Your Chromebook
This section contains information on managing your Chromebook.
- Adding, Removing and Managing Users your Chromebook
- How To Add Locally Managed Users in Chrome OS
- How To Change MAC Address of Your Chromebook
- How to do a factory reset on a Chromebook
- How To View BIOS Version of Your Chromebook
- How To Use Google DNS Servers On Your Chromebook
- How to Sync Google Contacts on Chromebook
Troubleshooting Issues With Your Chromebook
Experiencing problems with your Chromebook? Here is a section with troubleshooting help for Chrome OS.
- Debugging Internet Connection Issues on a Chromebook
- Find Out About Bluetooth Activities On Your Chromebook From chrome://bluetooth-internals
This section is for information dedicated to making your Chromebook more secure.
Advanced Tips for Power Users
This is a collection of things you can try if you are a power user and wants to tweak your Chromebook and play with it.
- Enabling zRAM in Chrome OS
- Switching to Chrome OS Canary channel/build
- How to Reduce the Chromebook Developer Mode Warning Time
- How to Traceroute from a Chromebook
Make The Best of Your Chromebook
Interesting and useful things that you can do with your Chromebook to make the best out of it!
Chromebook How To Videos
Here are some official How To videos from Google for Chrome OS users:
What is a Chromebook
How To Use Chromebook Touchpad
Chromebook Keyboard Tips and Tricks
How To Share Your Chromebook
Getting Started with Chromebook
Managing Files on Chromebook
Sharing Your Chromebook
Setting Up Classic Printing on Chromebook
Setting Up Cloud Printing on Chromebook
Switching to Chromebook
Chromebook Wont Charge or Turn On
Fixing Wi Fi Connectivity
Do you have suggestions? Is there anything that you think I should write and add here? Drop a comment!