Looking for a way to remove Google Chrome from your computer? This guide helps you uninstall Chrome from Windows or Mac computers.
This article covers uninstalling Chrome from a different operating system and also includes steps to remove files that do not get removed with a standard uninstall.
If you are not able to remove Chrome from your computer even after following
I have got a few tips that you can try out. These are tips you can try if you are not able to uninstall Google Chrome, and also if you are trying to remove Chrome and re-install it.
I met a lot of people complaining about Google Chrome on G+. It was a little surprising for me because I am a die-hard fan of Chrome. But, there are a lot of people who had unpleasant experiences with Chrome and wanted to remove it from their computers.
Uninstall Google Chrome
So, how do you remove Chrome from the computer? How do you remove your synced data (passwords, bookmarks, and form data, etc) from Google servers? Or, instead of removing Chrome completely from your computer, how to stop it from being your default browser?
Let’s find out.
How to Change Default Browser from Chrome To IE or Firefox
If you are not quite satisfied with Chrome at the moment and trying to get rid of it now, I would suggest you just make it a secondary browser and leave it on your computer. It may come in handy later when you are looking for a different browser to test something etc. Here is how to do that. (If you just want to remove Chrome completely, skip this part of the article)
- Go to your Control Panel
- (Classic View) Open Add or Remove Programs
- Select Set Program Access and Defaults and choose Custom
- On Choose a default Web browser, choose one of your existing web browsers
- Go to your Control Panel
- (Classic View) Open Default Programs
- Click Set program access and computer defaults.
- Select Custom, you need to click the drop-down to view the list.
- On the Choose a default web browser menu, select one of them.
- Go to the control panel > default programs > set your default programs. Click on Internet Explorer.
- Click on Set this program as default.
- How To Uninstall Google Chrome – Remove it Completely
Here is how to uninstall Google Chrome from your computer. This will remove the program from your computer. Later, I will tell you how to remove your data from Google servers too, if you had opted for the “Chrome Sync”
Go to Start > All Programs > Google Chrome > Uninstall Google Chrome.
If you want to delete your user profile information, like your browser preferences, bookmarks, and history, select the “Also delete browser data” checkbox.
Select the default browser you’d like to use.
Click OK in the confirmation prompt.
Apple Mac – OSX
Go to the folder containing Google Chrome.
Drag Google Chrome to the Trash icon in the Dock. You’ll need administrative rights if it’s installed in your Applications folder. To remove the Google Chrome icon from your Dock, simply drag it out of the Dock with your mouse.
Manually Uninstall Google Chrome on Windows
If the normal uninstalling method did not work, here is how to uninstall Chrome from Windows manually. Make sure extensions are displayed for your files. Here’s how:
- Go to the Start menu > Control Panel.
- Double-click Folder Options.
- Click View.
- Make sure the “Hide extensions for known file types” checkbox is deselected.
- Right-click this link.
- Click Save Link as and save the file name as remove.reg. (Select “All files” as your file type.)
- Exit Google Chrome completely.
- Double-click remove.reg on your desktop.
- In the confirmation window, click Yes.
- Click OK.
- Go to the Start menu > Run.
- Enter one of the following commands in the text field, depending on your operating system:
- Windows XP:%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google
- Windows Vista: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google
- Delete the Chrome folder in the directory that opens.
- Google Chrome should now be uninstalled.
Remove Your Chrome Synced Data From Google
Uninstalling Chrome from your computer may not remove your data saved on Google servers. This may include your bookmarks, passwords, other settings, etc depending on what you have selected while turning Chrome Sync on.
It is useful to leave this on Google servers if you want them saved somewhere or planning to install Chrome later or on a different computer. When you sync it on a new computer, all this data will be downloaded and made ready for you.
However, if you wish to remove this completely from your Google account, that is possible too. Here is how. (ps: Please be sure to use this ONLY if absolutely necessary.)
Go to Google Dashboard here – https://www.google.com/dashboard/
Login using your Google account which you used to Sync data on Chrome.
Look for “Chrome Sync” (it may take a while for its content to show up, you will see “requesting ChromeSync data”
Click “Stop sync and delete data from Google” and confirm.
Remove Google Chrome from Windows Registry
Ideally, the Chrome uninstaller should remove the settings from the Windows registry. You can check the registry entries to be sure. Instructions for editing the registry are available here.
How to Remove Google Chrome from Android
Here is how you uninstall Chrome from Android.
- Go to your device’s Settings menu > Apps or Application manager (this may differ depending on your device).
- Touch Chrome
- Touch Uninstall.
Chrome Cleanup Tool
Google has introduced an official tool to cleanup Chrome on Windows. You can download this tool directly from Google here. According to Google, this tool will:
This application will scan and remove software that may cause problems with Chrome, such as crashes, unusual startup pages or toolbars, unexpected ads you can’t get rid of, or otherwise changing your browsing experience.
This tool is available for Windows 10/8.1/8/7.
Yes, I’ve got some more stuff here for you. Some additional “remove” “delete” topics. Check them out.
- Google Chrome How to remove a word from the dictionary
- How to Disable the Auto Translation Bar in Google Chrome
I hope you got to uninstall Google Chrome following the steps explained here. If you have any further questions, please drop me a comment.