Your Pixelbook is one of the few Chromebooks that can Android apps, with full Google Play Store access. Google pulled this off by running a version of Android within Chrome OS using containers.
Google updates this built-in Android for Chrome OS from time to time. I am hoping that Google will update the Android version within Chrome OS soon after a new version is launched. Not many devices get luck with such fast updates.
Keeping that in mind, I check the Android version on my Chromebook after each Chrome OS software update on my Pixelbook. Right now, we are at Android 7.1.1 Nougat. Android 8.0 is already available for a handful of devices, and Android 8.1 Developer Preview is also out. I will keep be regularly checking Android version, waiting for 8.0.
So, where do I check this Android version on a Pixelbook? (or any Chromebook with Play Store access) Follow these instructions:
- Open Settings app and go to Google Play Store section.
- Click Manage Android Preference
- A new Settings app launches. This is the Android Settings app.
- The last entry on this page will be About Device. It should show the Android version.
- Click About Device for additional information.
Hope this helps!
PS: I couldn’t get the Android Easter Egg to work on my Pixelbook!