We here at Chromestory love to beta test things. Especially Chrome things, like our Chromebooks. I myself own a Chromebook Pixel (2015) which has access to Android apps, as long as it’s on the Beta channel.
It’s just fun. Fun getting features before other people, fun being a part of the testing and feedback process. It’s cutting edge, it’s exciting!
And now we can experience that rush with our Chromecasts too!
They’re calling it the Chromecast Preview Program. It’s technically not a Beta program. According to Google:
“This is not “beta” software. Our intention is that Preview Program updates will be of the same quality as production version updates. You’re simply getting earlier access to new features before they’re released broadly.”
So basically it’s like the best Beta program ever. You get to enjoy new features ahead of other people, but don’t have to worry about bugs. Does it get any better than this?
You’re probably wondering what kind of new features we will get to enjoy. Well, me too. No word yet on what’s coming down the pipeline so you’ll just have to opt-in and find out with the rest of us!
Here’s how to opt in to the Chromecast Preview Program: (Note: If you don’t see the option to opt-in, it’s because Google isn’t currently taking in any more members at this time, and you should check back later)
- From your Android or iOS device, open the Google Cast app .
- Tap the DEVICES tab to see your available Chromecast devices.
- Scroll to find the device card for the Chromecast you’d like to enroll in the Preview Program.
- In the top right corner of the device card, tap the device card menu .
- Tap Device Settings.
- Tap Preview Program. If you don’t see Preview Program, we aren’t accepting new members at this time. Please continue to check back as opportunities become available.
- Choose whether to receive email notifications by moving the slider to the right or left. Note: We recommend allowing email notifications so you’ll know when new updates are pushed to your Chromecast device.
- If you opt-in to email notifications, you’ll be asked to sign into your Google account if you haven’t already.
- Review the contents of that page, and tap Join Program.
- Review the contents of the page, then tap OK, GOT IT.
And please, if you manage to get in (Sadly, I have no yet been able to get in) let us know how it goes!