Enterprise/Education Chromebook admins have something worth celebrating today. A new feature added to Chrome OS and Admin Console lets them remotely “disable” Chromebooks.
After remotely disabling a Chromebook, admins can set a custom message to be displayed when the Chromebook is switched on, say, contact information for the organization or instructions to return the device.
Admins can re-enroll these devices as and when they are returned. All these management tasks are now available on the Admin Console. Here is the official help guide with instructions.
- Sign in to the Admin console at https://admin.google.com.
- Go to Device Management > Chrome devices.
- In the device list, select the provisioned device(s).
- Click More Actions and choose Deprovision.
- In the warning message that appears, click Deprovision to complete the process.
What next? Well, we need this feature for personal Chromebooks as well, right? There is no news about such a thing happening yet. May be it will, may be not. Sounds like something to keep an eye out for!
via François Beaufort