Google Chrome on Windows 10 – Download and Install Your Favorite Browser!

Microsoft Windows 10 is here and it is a free upgrade to most of the existing Windows users. The response from general public, press and the tech crowd has been positive. As a Chrome user, I have good news too. Google Chrome is doing great on Windows 10!. So here is my take on Google Chrome on Windows 10.

Windows 10 brings refreshed user interface design. Google Chrome adapts nicely to this new treatment. This makes Chrome feel more blended in with the new version of Windows.

There are not Windows 10 specific features to report as of now, but the installation and setup were smooth. You will find instructions to download and set up Chrome on Windows 10 in this post. If you are experiencing any issues, please scroll down to the comments section to see solutions posted by other users (thank you all). Please contribute if you have answers to the questions others have asked.

Google Chrome on Windows 10 – Download

It is just the same Google Chrome browser that you download from google.com/chrome. The download and install went pretty smooth. I use Chromesync, so getting everything back, including my extensions and passwords was easy, and smooth.

chrome-windows-10

When you start downloading, Google first gives you a small file, which starts downloading the complete installer. A sort of download manager. Once download is complete, you can double click the file file to start your installation.

Metro Mode

Yes, we still have the “Relaunch Chrome in Windows 8 Mode”.  It gives us the Metro Mode Chrome, but this time on Windows 10, I still see the Windows Task Bar  at the bottom.

I think that’s how Microsoft wanted it to look, because I can see the taskbar when I use other Metro apps. Maybe this is a bug that they are yet to fix?

chrome-windows10

I am yet to find anything Windows 10 specific for Google Chrome, but I’ll keep looking. That’ll give me a reason to use my PC once in a while.

Google Chrome for 64 Bit Windows 10

Google has released a 64 bit version of Google Chrome. You can download this version for your Windows 10 computer if you are using the 64 bit version of Windows. Find more details about 64 bit version here.

Offline Installer for Google Chrome on Windows 10

You can use the same Google Chrome Offline Installer that Google has released for Windows computers. The same installer is working for Windows 10 computers as well.

Upgrading from Windows 8.1

Upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 was pretty smooth. My Chrome was unaffected and I could start using right after my first login.

I would still recommend using Chromesync to back up your passwords, extensions and other important information before the upgrade. If you are not using Chromesync yet, here is the official article explaining Chromesync and its features.

Chrome on Windows 10 – The Experience

Windows 10 is a very solid version of Windows from Microsoft. The story of Chrome on Windows 10 is no different. It runs smoothly and the user interface of Windows 10 plays nice with Chrome’s UI. Chrome looks good and works neat too.

Google is yet to add any Windows 10 specific features to Chrome. For now, Chrome works smoothly on Windows. Since this version of Microsoft’s operating system is about making things stable and introducing a unified experience across platforms, we are less likely to see any disruptive changes or features, especially on the UX side.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update

The Windows 10 anniversary update is expected to be released in August, 2016. This will be a set of bug fixes, changes to certain things that currently exist and a bunch of new things for Windows 10.

Currently, there are no changes reported that will affect Google Chrome on Windows 10.

Unable To Download Google Chrome On Windows

Are you getting error messages while downloading Google Chrome? For example “Installation failed due to unspecified error”? Here are some troubleshooting steps to try.

Google Chrome usually downloads a small file to your computer which then connects to the server and downloads the complete file. When you face issues with this regular way of downloading Chrome, the first thing to try is the full offline installer.

This offline installer downloads involves only one file and should resolve most of the issues associated with downloading and installing Google Chrome. Find more about Google Chrome Offline Installer here.

In Category: Windows

• The MAZZTer 02/10/2014, 5:13 pm

Seeing the taskbar in Metro mode is intentional. From the screenshot you are running the metro mode app on the desktop in a window. This is a new Windows 10 feature.

I dunno how you would launch in full metro mode, you probably need to switch the start menu back to the start screen and launch it from there. I haven’t tried out the preview yet (I want to be able to dedicate enough time to set everything up the way I want it first).

• The MAZZTer 02/10/2014, 5:14 pm

Also I didn’t do an update myself, since the Preview will stop working in April (and “stop working” usually means “starts blue screening every couple of hours until you do a clean install of a full Windows”).

• Frank 02/10/2014, 7:21 pm

U have to run metro apps in full screen to get rid of the taskbar. Click on the 3 dots in the upper left corner and choose full screen.

• Hugh Isaacs II 02/10/2014, 9:54 pm

“It gives us the Metro Mode Chrome, but this time on Windows 10, I still see the Windows Task Bar at the bottom.

I think that’s how Microsoft wanted it to look, because I can see the task bar when I use other Metro apps. May be this is a bug that they are yet to fix?”

It’s to stay that way.
    Metro apps now run alongside Classic Windows apps on the desktop.

It should only run differently on tablets.

• peter 03/10/2014, 3:17 am

What on earth is the intended functionality of the top task bar? Apps already have “close” and “minify” in top right.
    This seems like a complete waste of vertical space. If we needed a top task bar we’d install Mac Os

• Junhan Zhang 22/03/2015, 11:34 am

Did you use 32bit or 64bit?

• Dinsan 22/03/2015, 12:33 pm

64bit

• Daniel Frye 25/03/2015, 10:26 pm

Having the taskbar remain up when running apps is one of the major IMPROVEMENTS of Windows 10. Unless you are running on a tablet device, people rarely want an application to be full-screen edge to edge. That option exists in Windows 10, but thankfully is not the default and forced upon every app.

• Dinsan 26/03/2015, 9:45 am

So, do you think Chrome can provide an option to open it without the close button? Because, Google can give a Chrome OS like UI with that (+ metro mode)

• Anthony Rammin'ton Steele Dunk 26/03/2015, 7:25 pm

Has anyone been able to test if Google Chrome’s Windows 8 mode works on the newest Windows 10 build?

• Moise Puela 13/04/2015, 3:08 am

Yes and it doesn’t work

• Stephen Battista 27/03/2015, 12:17 am

Running 64 bit Chrome and Win10. So far it has been pretty smooth. Needed do download a driver for an old Epson 1670 and company provided anti-virus Symantec Enterprise Protection won’t yet run. I needed to manually update March 2015 updates for Win10. It might have done this automatically but I did not wait.

• Anthony Rammin'ton Steele Dunk 27/03/2015, 1:04 am

Was you able to run Chrome in ‘Windows 8 Mode’ by any chance?

• manu 18/06/2015, 5:16 pm

is it official google chrome or you guys just tweaked chrome to look like win 10 themed chrome ??

• Dinsan 18/06/2015, 6:00 pm

This is original Chrome.

• Mystitsu 22/06/2015, 8:18 am

I know this story is a bit old. But I have downloaded the 64 bit chrome. there is no option that says ‘relauch in windows 8 mode’ and yet every site says that to get the metro UI to hit the little bars in the corner click that option. there is no such option. in that menu. is it hidden somewhere else, or is it no longer possible?

• David Serrano 17/07/2015, 12:17 am

did anyone notice the small letters in the corner of windows 10 instal sreen “may apply to the Internet access fees”???

• Marethyu 30/07/2015, 9:10 am

Its not working for me

• Dinsan 31/07/2015, 1:12 pm

What’s the error, can you provide more details please?

• Jay Clark 30/07/2015, 11:26 am

I have just finished installing Windows 10, free download for Win 8.1 owners. AND can open Google Chrome, but none of the pages will load …. HELP please

• Dinah9999 31/07/2015, 2:14 am

Same problem and relaunch in Windows 8 mode does not work! Anyone ? Help please!

• Suellyn Simon 31/07/2015, 2:47 am

If you find out PLEASE let us know. I feel like we were scalped!!!! Thanks for posting so quick. I agree……HELP QUICK!! please -Sue S.

• LaQuita L. Smith-Garcia 31/07/2015, 4:12 am

I’m having the same issue…Anyone find the solution yet??? Thanks in Advance 🙂

• João Victor Schiavo 31/07/2015, 9:42 am

Lol, here almost any page load in Edge instead of Chrome. oO

• Shyami Sathiaseelan 31/07/2015, 1:04 pm

My problem is that web.whatsapp.com doesn’t work. While I am able to send this message through the laptop, that particular page says no internet connection….
      Anyone else who finds a solution for this please let me know. Thanks

• Dinsan 31/07/2015, 1:08 pm

Logout and login again from your PC where it is not working. Configure it again. I had the same trouble (not on Windows 10) and got it fixed this way.

• Shyami Sathiaseelan 31/07/2015, 6:12 pm

Thank you very much. I have logged out and I cannot even get the QR code to scan now 🙁

• Dan 04/08/2015, 2:40 am

You have to go to the Google Chrome icon (shortcut). Right click , properties, compatibility. In ‘compatibility mode’ un-click the box for ‘run this program…’

• jacelyn 04/08/2015, 8:16 pm

I don’t see the properties after my right click.. Is that just me?

• Dan 05/08/2015, 2:35 am

Try to uninstall Chrome by going to Start, then settings. then search in find setting ‘remove program’ and select “change or remove program’. Find Google Chrome and uninstall. Then using Microsoft Edge, search for Google Chrome. An install.It will create and Google Chrome” icon on your desktop. Then right click , properties, compatibility. In ‘compatibility mode’ un-click the box for ‘run this program…’

• Sissy Shoppah 05/08/2015, 3:24 pm

if I uninstall my previous chrome and install the google chrome canary, will it still have my saved passwords and bookmarks?

• Dan 05/08/2015, 5:16 pm

You should because that stays with you email account.

• Mohanan 11/08/2015, 3:35 pm

It works. Thank you Dan

• Omar David 14/08/2015, 8:43 am

thank you so much, Dan..

• سيفالله 18/08/2015, 9:22 am

Doesnt work

• Dan 19/08/2015, 2:53 am

what version of Windows and chrome are you using?

• Andrew Clare 21/08/2015, 12:45 am

Thank you Dan. Your answer solved the problem

• Stewart 31/07/2015, 10:09 pm

right click on google app. – properties – compatibility tab – uncheck run on windows 8 – it should then work !

• AdManTheLabRat 31/07/2015, 11:37 pm

We put a CHROME Shortcut on the desktop, and each we want to use the Chrome Browser it’s a Right-Click and Run As Administrator. Not so bad when you get used to it. We have gotten used to it bcuz for us that’s the way it was with 8.1 and fracking works the same way now.

• Simon Lueras 01/08/2015, 8:54 pm

That did it, your a life save thanks

• Danial Kevin Wilker 01/08/2015, 12:19 pm

well now that the final windows 10 is out it seems there is no more windows 10 mode. i cant find it in 32bit chrome nor 64bit chrome :/

• Sidharth Murali 01/08/2015, 1:14 pm

so I cant use chrome on windows 10. I had a 32-bit and when I opened chrome, the app launched but no webpage was being displayed. even the settings menu didn’t open. then later, chrome became unresponsive and shut down. I tried uninstalling and reinstalled. nothing happened. one of my friends told to try the 64-bit version, yet even that did nothing. somebody please help me because I’m stuck with Microsoft edge. All help will be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

• Anna Zdunkiewicz 02/08/2015, 2:56 pm

You can download the 64 bit version of Chrome Canary in here: http://www.google.co.in/intl/en/chrome/browser/canary.html
      Try it! It works for me 🙂

• Leonard Payne 11/08/2015, 10:40 am

Try adding a new administrator account and changing the current administrator account to a user account. Don’t know why, but it worked for me.

• John Baskind 14/10/2015, 2:35 am

Interesting. Chrome (32-bit} is the default on my system. I do have a user account, but when I use it, nothing happens. Most of the time I can make it work by opening Chrome as Administrator from within the user account, but even though it is the default app, it will not open when the program is closed and I click a link external to the browser, nothing happens.So sadly, I am using Edge, right now, and I don’t like it one bit.

• Dan 01/08/2015, 11:47 pm

After upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1, Google Chrome did not work. After looking all over the internet noting worked. Then I went in to properties of Google Chrome, and un-clicked the Windows 8 compatibility, and Chrome worked.

• Gerard 03/08/2015, 1:00 am

That would work if when you right click Settings to go in there it would show up, but when you click on settings, the window opens nut is blank. This will definitely hurt Microsoft if people can’t use the other browsers they have grown a custom to !

• Dan 03/08/2015, 1:07 am

BTW. Microsoft does not care for any one else.

• Ruben Flores 03/08/2015, 2:42 am

This worked for me too.
      The only other two steps I had to do,
      1. scan for viruses.
      2. Restart.
      It was all there! and everything working as before.

• Prometheus 02/08/2015, 7:33 am

Unable to launch any pages in google chrome after installing windows 10. What’s happen team google, please help !

• Rohan Adhvaryu 02/08/2015, 8:41 am

Guys!!! I was having the same issues as some of you when I upgraded to Win 10, and then I decided to ditch Chrome and tried installing Google Canary and it seems to work just as fine… Hope this helps 🙂

• Amdy 02/08/2015, 5:55 pm

Here how to fix the Chrome windows 10 issue. Remove previous version of Chrome and reinstall Chrome. After the installation right click on the shortcut -> properties – > compatibility -> click on ‘Run compatibility troubleshooter’ and follow the steps. That’s all – Windows 10 will fix the issue for you. Enjoy

• Gerard 02/08/2015, 11:15 pm

Only problem is that Windows 10 will not let you uninstall Chrome form the upgrade. It says close all windows in Chrome on Windows 8 before uninstalling. Kind of hard to do when you already did the upgrade don’t ya think !

• Amdy Diene 03/08/2015, 1:37 am

In this case you need to use Windows task manager by right clicking on the ask bar and kill the Chrome process. This will stop all running Chrome processes. Also ‘Chrome Canary’ works but I prefer to use the original version of Chrome.

• Robert R 04/08/2015, 8:20 pm

This is exactly what I had to do before I could reinsatll Chrome and it DID work. Chrome does now work for me on Win10

• giselle97 07/09/2015, 3:15 pm

It may well be that Microsoft Edge is your “Wow” factor but it’s not much use when you want to see everything on all of your platforms, i.e. my laptop, my tablet and my android ‘phone. Can you tell me how my Edge Bookmarks would be synched on those other daily use items? No?
      Anyway, thanks for your help on the Chrome not working in W10 which is my problem and why I visited.

• Gerard 03/08/2015, 1:29 am

For anyone upgrading to the New Windows 10 and if you are using Google Chrome as a browser. If you were using Chrome in Windows 8.1 after upgrading to Windows 10 it will not work so just be aware ! To solve this issue, you can Download Google Chrome Canary (Version :46.0.2471.0) 64 Bit. It worked for me and was mentioned in another post by (Anna Zdunkiewicz) to try and it worked ! I am sure Google or Microsoft will correct this issue in the future. You can get Chrome Canary at http://www.google.co.in./intl/e or go to google.co.in./intl/en/chrome/browser/canary.html

• Sissy Shoppah 05/08/2015, 3:03 pm

if I uninstall my previous chrome in windows 7 and install the google chrome canary, will it still have my saved passwords and bookmarks?

• Gerard 05/08/2015, 3:27 pm

You will have to log back into Chrome using the log on name and password that you used when you signed up, but yes when you sign in everything will be as you left it. That is one good thing about Chrome. The only way all your bookmarks and such would be gone is if you cancel the account. Hope this helps !

• Sissy Shoppah 05/08/2015, 4:08 pm

I have uninstalled the old chrome and downloaded and installed the chrome canary but still it wouldn’t open chrome. And when I try to right click for the properties of the chrome canary, it says COM surrogate has stopped working. 🙁

• chris 03/08/2015, 5:56 am

I just rolled back to 8.1 until they get it fixed although every time I check for updates my computer wants to download windows 10 again.

• Cecilia Weston 03/08/2015, 3:34 pm

From installing Windows 10, there has only been one day when Google Chrome worked perfectly. First of all the touchscreen didn’t work on Chrome, though it did for any other app. Then Chrome did not launch at all. At the moment I’m forced to use Microsoft Edge. I was going to reinstall Chrome, but realise there is not yet a version for Windows10.

• Herschel 15/08/2015, 3:30 am

having the same screen issue. cant seem to use the touch screen but it works on edge. argggg!!

• snagglepusslynn 26/12/2015, 4:34 pm

I have a surface 2 8.1 RT and chrome. I have been toying with downloading Windows 10. I recently bought a chrome book and when I read on a chromneboiok description that you could download to windows 10 I did a search and landed here, My new chromebook box is not even opened yet it is a toshiba chrome book 2. I was sad to read that chrome DOES NOT support touch screen. I feel like I jumped the gun buying a chrome book before researching it. It will remain in the box untouched until I decide what to do. I also like touch and have gotten very use to it. So you are able to use touch on microsoft stuff but not chrome from my understanding,

• EMc 09/10/2015, 11:04 pm

I don’t care about the touchscreen, but I *do* care about the fact that Chrome started running like 27 copies on STARTUP and constantly in the background. I have gotten a ton of great advice and had set up some nice protection for my new Win10 computer using Chrome w/ plug-ins, but at this moment, after a forced factory reset caused mostly by MS “support” banging around on my desktop but certainly STARTED b/c of a chrome update that installed like Windows 10 updates –> without asking you or considering what you might be doing at that moment (despite me having worked very hard to make it at least bend to my will regarding downloads. Windows downloads were doing what I asked: asking me, but Chrome barreled in & just started a huge mess w/ all sorts of nonsense.) NO WAY am I going to willingly subject myself to MS support again just to use Chrome. They are going to need to figure out how to handle the updates, which have changed drastically, and sadly – it is clear that both MS and the various PC companies (in my case, HP) do not really understand the ins and outs of Win10 like they should. I got more help from HowToGeek than any official support that I am under warrantee to use freely.

• Canitocool 03/08/2015, 7:12 pm

I installed chrome on Win10 and it is working fine. One thing I found is that some apps toolbars dissapear but when you hover your mouse over it, it will highlight the option you hover. It has to do with the way Win10 handles contrast colors. You will see an example when using CorelDraw. But Corel has an update that fix that.

• Job Martin Mazat 05/08/2015, 9:44 am

I don’t know if I made the right choice to change to Windows 10 maybe I wasn’t ready to so many changes. The hardest thing is in chrome and my Wi-Fi conection both have had some ishues, also my touchscreen in some apps. But it only takes for me to get used to this new Windows.

• sanford943 08/08/2015, 9:47 am

I am getting a message error when it try to install chrome on windows ten. I get this error message.0x8004071b. What does that mean. When I downloaded Windows ten for some reason I could not go on line. Best Buy backed up my computer to an external hard drive. When I picked up my computer we tried to install Chrome on to the computer and it would not work. What can I do.

• Martin 09/08/2015, 10:36 pm

I upgraded to Windows 10 and installed Chrome. Everything works great but I cannot download any file through Chrome! Every time I have to open IE to download a file. I assume this is because of conflicts caused by new features in Windows 10. Any thought?

• daniel 10/08/2015, 3:09 pm

i have the same issue here I cant use chrome once I updated my os to windows 10 ive tried reinstalling it but it didn’t work it always got stuck at the connecting to the internet part ive tried using canary but it didn’t work either does anyone have the solution thanks in advance 😀

• Kimberly Seales 13/08/2015, 9:29 pm

I cant even get the google page to load. Chrome does not work. I am having connection issues. how can I roll back to my windows 8? I cant deal with all this stuff not working on my laptop. like seriously I go to google and its says Hmm cant seem to find that.. What???

• MercyNya 14/08/2015, 11:34 am

videos don’t load on google chrome since i installed windows 10,
    only youtube videos load but the audio keep stuttering
    there’s some way i can fix that?

• Piper 31/08/2015, 4:16 am

I’ve been looking for that very answer as well Mercy. Since you posted 17 days ago and haven’t received any feed back I’m guessing they haven’t figured one out yet.

• Cody Yap 15/08/2015, 9:28 am

when I reinstall Chrome, but he show :
    “Unable to connect the internet. If u use a firewall, please whitelist GoogleUpdate.exe”.
    what that’s mean ? my internet connected, anyone help me solve ?

• Low Kent 15/08/2015, 10:55 am

windows forces u to use Microsoft edge in windows 10.internet explorer and chrome doesn’t work.btw,installing chrome also fails on windows 10.it gets stuck on connecting to internet

• سيفالله 18/08/2015, 9:25 am

not liking win 10

• stefon coricu 19/08/2015, 9:33 am

WESTONS BONNE CUIRGLOVED

• Mark Orquin Suela 20/08/2015, 1:22 am

dan can you help me how can i unsinstall my google chrome because im using now a window 10 and not compatible now, everytime i uninstall the google chrome this is the reply ” Please close all google chrome windows and try again ”

can you help me to solve this?

• Christopher West 22/08/2015, 11:30 am

My issue is with downloads. Most of the time downloads just dont work / start and I had issue with browser freeze. Constantly. That I fixed (I think) by disabling flash.

• Catherine Williamson Winward 23/08/2015, 6:33 am

I can’t use google and have lost my photo editing program. Everyone keeps saying Windows 10 is great, but it is making me pretty unhappy. XP was the last really good program for Windows.

• Piper 31/08/2015, 4:09 am

I’ve looked everywhere and I can’t seem to find an answer. I can not play videos others post in my FaceBook news feed since updating to windows 10. Also some Youtube videos will not load. I would REALLY appreciate an answer.

• Eduardo Cataño 02/09/2015, 11:29 pm

I got an update for windows 10 last night and Chrome stopped working, already reinstalled it and looked for a fix or something but not working. I don’t want to remain attached to edge. Please get a fix for this.

• Ken Johnston 06/09/2015, 9:47 am

Google Chrome worked perfectly for me after installing Windows 10 back on August 3. It worked consistently until August 31 when the latest of several updates arrived from Windows. First, Chrome was alright, but I began to have issues with Windows 10 itself. Opening up “This PC” resulted in a failure to display active icons of the various partitions and external drives. Also photos would not display correctly in their folders. The 64 bit Windows 10 Professional was affected in this way first, but Google Chrome still worked. Then around September 2 there were issues with Google Chrome but only in the 64 bit environment. The 32 bit environment worked fine on either networked PC running Windows 10 or 7 until Friday, September 4. Now I can no longer use Google Chrome at all across the entire network. I uninstalled Chrome, but when I try to reinstall from the original download it fails. If I re-download and install Google Chrome it downloads, then it installs, but then it immediately crashes. Why it worked for a month and now not all all is a complete mystery.

• Anna Kennedy 29/09/2015, 5:36 pm

I have the exact same problem – worked fine initially, then got really slow/crashed loads after about a month and now it just won’t open at all. Reinstalled it and no change. I refuse to conform and switch to using edge and am only using it till Chrome sorts this problem out!!

• Tammy Hyatt 06/10/2015, 9:46 pm

installed window 10 from 8.1 but i am having problems with downloading new updates for for other hard and soft ware

• Nicole Boedeker 27/10/2015, 10:14 pm

I had to uninstall Chrome after the upgrade and when I tried to reinstall it, I get an “unspecified installation error” and it will not install. Anyone else run into this and/or know a fix for it? It does not matter which browser I try to get the download from (Firefox, IE, Edge, etc.), I get the same message when trying to install. Help!

• SeaBeeUK 26/03/2016, 5:25 am

My guess is that Microsoft have ensured that Chrome is as difficult as possible to load/use in order to drive customers into the arms of Edge.

• Diane Thomas 03/04/2016, 10:11 pm

Well I’m so surprised to hear of the many complaints and issues everyone is having. I would like to report that I have had not one issue with Windows 10 working with Google Chrome. I think that it can depend on what you use your PC for as to how good it works or not too.