Chromecast developer Leon Nicholls has cooked up something cool again. This time it is a Java based application that you can use to send videos, songs etc from computer to Chromecast. Now anybody can play local media directly from their computers to their ChromeCast device. No browser required, he says.
There was a workaround that we could use to send local media to Chromecast. Open local files in a Chrome tab and cast the tab using the experimental feature of sending an entire Chrome tab to Chromecast. But with fling, you can send the file without Chrome.
Sending Local Files to Chromecast using Fling
- Download the app from here.
- Run the app
- Connect to your Chromecast
- Drag and drop your media to the app
- Sit back and enjoy!
Here is a video:
- The application is written in Java and should run on any OS, just install a JRE:http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
- You need to have the latest version of VLC installed for transcoding (preferably 64-bit).
- The code for the app is open-sourced: https://github.com/entertailion/Fling
- This app does not use the official Google Cast SDK.