Yes, you heard it correct. The team is working on syncing your Wallpaper. This is still work in progress and there is few more things to be implemented, like syncing the “Surprise me” option. I will look for this in the next developer channel update for Chrome OS.
For the curious mind, here is the full commit log.zSync online wallpaper
Note: surprise me option is not synced yet
TEST= (need chromebook)
1. open wallpaper picker, set any of the online wallpapers (remember the one you select)
2. go to chrome://sync, in the “sync node browser” tab, drill down to “app settings” in the left tree view
3. select “wallpaper-info-key” item. skim over the detail, you should see the wallpaper url is remembered.
4. logout and delete your account and then login (make sure sync trigged, you can also achieve this by login to a new device).
5. your wallpaper should automatically change from default wallpaper to the one you previously selected in a moment after login
I don’t know if this will sync the custom wallpaper that we set, with our own images. But is not mentioned in the “yet to be implemented” part. So I am assuming that the custom wallpaper also will be synced.
When this feature is ready, you will have your wallpaper synced across all Chrome OS devices you use. But the most interesting thing to watch will be, when we get a new Chromebook and log in to that, seeing our own wallpaper there, making the experience complete.
For what’s next!