Dell Updates Their Chromium OS Build for Dell Mini With Wifi – Download Now !!

The story so far : Soon after Google made Chromium OS source code available, Engadget got one copy working on a Dell Mini. There was one thing missing, Wifi support because the wifi card used by dell ( broadcom ) required drivers that are not included in Chromium OS.

Using Google Chrome on Android? I’ve got Some Tips for You!

Chrome OS Dell MIni

Chrome OS Dell MIni

In November 2009, Dell Linux team posted a blog entry with a download link to their modified version of Chromium OS, yes, with Wifi support for their devices. But nothing after that.

2009 to 2011, Chromium OS has gone through a lot of changes and has gotten much better. I have a dell mini for testing Chromium OS but Wifi is something I am missing a lot. I was looking for some info on how to get this working and stumbled up on the old blog entry by Dell yesterday. I opened the download page and to my surprise, there is an updated build, from May 13th, 2011 !!

ps: This build gives the option to select the user image from those interesting drawings we saw last week.

Chrome OS Login

Chrome OS Login

According to the read me file, “Broadcom wireless driver (wl) support IS functional in this May13 image. A huge round of thanks goes to the Broadcom folks for doing the WL port to the new API.”  So there it is, a chromium OS build with the latest goodies, with Wifi driver support for broadcom and dell Minis.

Download and Get Your USB Image Ready – Linux and Windows

First thing, download the latest copy from this URL. The file name is “ChromiumOS_x86_May13.img.gz”. Extract this to get the .img file. Winrar will work fine for you on windows.

For linux, use the command “gunzip ChromiumOS_x86_May13.img.gz” without quotes. Now, it’s time to put it on the USB drive. A 4GB USB drive is preferred.

For Windows, download the “Windows Image Writer” from here. For linux, use the command “sudo dd if=ChromiumOS_x86_May13.img of=/dev/sdb bs=4M” without quotes.

Installing Chromium OS to Your Netbook’s Hard Drive

You can use it from the USB drive, without installing to hard drive. But for those who want to install it, press CTRL +ALT+T to go to command prompt. Next, type “install” without quotes and follow couple of steps. The password is dell1234 .

Enabling Wifi

You are one more step away from enabling Wifi on your netbook. Go to the command prompt again ( CTRL+ALT+T ) and move to shell , by simply typing “shell” without quotes. now type the following command.  This will install wifi drivers on your system.

sudo /etc/install_wl.sh

Use Alt + Tab to go back to the browsing window ( command prompt will be left open ) or type “exit” to close it.

For those who are trying this, please let me the result here in comments section. Also, try on any device with broadcom wifi device, if you have one and let me know if any other model works !

Note : THIS IMAGE COMES WITH ABSOLUTELY NO SUPPORT OR WARRANTY – USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

Download Link :

Dell Blog Post :

Image Via Engadget

In Category: Chromebook

• Megagamerx1 15/05/2011, 5:57 pm

Wait a minute… couldn’t you plug a imaged drive into a Linux computer and get the script and driver off to put on any other Chromium OS build? (Like Hexxeh’s daily?)

That would be awesome.

• Dinu 15/05/2011, 7:43 pm

it’s possible ? hmm never tried it … need to find a PC to play around with Linux … my main laptop died ..

• Drake Remore 15/05/2011, 11:58 pm

You cannot do that because Chromeos is compiled into an image and you’d need the wireless support compiled. It’s not modular. Otherwise, this broadcom debacle would have been resolved a long time ago.

• Dinu 16/05/2011, 12:08 am

thanks for the update ! I will do my best to find the install_wl.sh in /etc .. but I am not 100% sure if I am allowed to publish it eve if I find it .. ( licencing issues may be ? )

• Megagamerx1 16/05/2011, 12:31 am

All I know is that when I plug my ChromeOS drive into my Ubuntu computer it shows up as a browseable file system…

• Dinu 16/05/2011, 12:40 am

uhmm, can you download this one and find the install_wl.sh ? it should be in /etc ?

• Drake Remore 16/05/2011, 12:51 am

This is the contents of the install_wl.sh file which you could paste and do chmod 777 install_wl.sh to make it executable.

#!/bin/sh

sudo insmod /lib/modules/${KVER}/kernel/net/wireless/lib80211_crypt_ccmp.ko
            sudo insmod /lib/modules/${KVER}/kernel/net/wireless/lib80211_crypt_tkip.ko
            sudo insmod /lib/modules/${KVER}/kernel/net/wireless/lib80211_crypt_wep.ko
            sudo insmod /lib/modules/${KVER}/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/wl.ko
            sudo depmod -a

• Megagamerx1 16/05/2011, 12:56 am

I would think so… I can access the “/ect” dir on a Hexxeh’s Chromium image… I am writing the new image as we speak…

• Megagamerx1 16/05/2011, 1:25 am

Awww Snap! I can access the script, but the filesystem is readonly, so if it’s like that for Hexxeh’s (which it probably is), there would be no way to add them in. All well… :/

• Drake Remore 18/05/2011, 4:12 am

Actually, there is a script in Doug’s /etc directory that is used to mount the file-system read/write. It’s actually used IN the wireless activation script, LOL, since as you imagine, the script itself is making changes to the file system that is mounted read only by default.

#!/bin/sh/
          set -x
          mount -n -o remount, rw /

So, you should be able to run the mount command above, move the file(s) to hexxeh’s vanilla build, reboot and run the wireless script and cross your fingers. 🙂

• Dinu 18/05/2011, 4:15 am

have you tried it ?

• Drake Remore 18/05/2011, 4:20 am

You kidding? I finally got a current build of chromium that works on my dell mini with broadcom, I’m not touching it! LOL

I have mounted read/write and written files. I already tried that process before. I had Flow, but wanted the more recent build (vanilla) WAY back when it first started (august 10 or so)… So, I took the old working build (2010) from Doug at Dell and I migrated everything I thought I could migrate onto doug’s build (script, etc). I ran the script and is seemed fine. I even saw the hardware listed, but it wouldn’t turn on….. I may have done it wrong, or there may be stuff that has to be compiled into the kernel at build time. That was when I gave up and used Jolicloud. 🙂

• jamil 15/05/2011, 6:24 pm

hello after running the command my wifi can see the wireless network but it cannot connect though its an adhoc connection so it keeps telling me disconnected

• Bruno 15/05/2011, 6:52 pm

Great news! Fantastic news! Chrome OS is becoming a reality for everybody!

I’m downloading and gonna tell if these works with Ralink too. (Yes, I know that it wont work with Ralink, but I GOT to test it! haha)

Thanks for this post!
    (sry for the english)

• Dinu 15/05/2011, 7:45 pm

sure !! let me know if it works !

• Joe 15/05/2011, 9:37 pm

Woah woah woah: “sudo dd if=ChromiumOS_x86_May13.img of=/dev/sdb bs=4M”?

Not everyone has their flash drive on /dev/sdb, and telling people to just run a command that could overwrite their drive, especially without noting that it may need to be changed on different systems, is pretty stupid.

Better to use something like UNetBootin, both on Windows and on Linux.

• Dinu 15/05/2011, 9:40 pm

thanks .. 🙂

• Dan 13/06/2011, 11:40 pm

The clock & battery status icons happened to be broken the day Doug did this build. If he releases another one, or if Hexxeh is able to incorporate the broadcom driver into his vanilla builds, those should be back.

Have any of you who have had audio trouble tried typing “alsamixer” in the terminal and un-muting with “m” and arrow keys? That fixed sound for me on an HP mini 1000, though I have to do it every time I reboot.

• John Kattenhorn 16/05/2011, 12:28 am

Hi, Worked OK but it very slow on my Dell Mini 10v

• Dinu 16/05/2011, 12:40 am

cool ! and thanks for the feedback 🙂

• Drake Remore 16/05/2011, 12:29 am

I got it running on my dell mini 1012. Despite what Doug says, the sound works. However, touchpad scrolling doesn’t work and mouse sensitivity seems to be very high and not adjusting when I alter it in the preferences.

Other than that, seems good!

• Dinu 16/05/2011, 12:41 am

I’m having issues with track pad too. But the vanilla build from hexxeh had good support for trackpad .. and it had multi touch working too ( two finger scrolling ..

• Dave 16/05/2011, 12:40 am

Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention. My Dell Latitude D830 is finally running Chromium OS with working WIFI! Unfortunately, there’s still no sound. The only issue I have with this build is that it doesn’t show the clock, connection, or battery indicator when I’m logged in. The only show up on the login screen.

P.S. Angry Birds works great!

• Dinu 16/05/2011, 12:43 am

yea, battery indicator, and time etc are missing for me too ! it shows “not singed in” there.

when you say sound not working .. are you talking about login and logout sounds ? youtube video sound ? or mp3 ?

• Dave 16/05/2011, 12:48 am

Everything. No sound at all. I’ve always figured the drivers aren’t there. I’m not getting a “not singed in”, I just get nothing.

• Dinu 16/05/2011, 1:14 am

ok, may be we should wait for another build ..
          hmm, for sound .. it is working for me .. do you want to try a re-install ?

• Dinu 16/05/2011, 1:33 am

@ Megagamerx1

is it possible to do so while making a new build from scratch ?

• Megagamerx1 16/05/2011, 1:37 am

You read my mind… I was just reading how to build Chromium OS…
      I don’t know quite how it works, but if anyone knows if adding in files before the build is done, PLEASE LET US KNOW! Don’t be afraid… come on…

• Dinu 16/05/2011, 1:41 am

oh boy !! I am no developer .. just consider myself as a tech journalist ..

I will do some reading and see if I can help you !

another question : do you think that script is the only thing we need ? what if the script is used only to call some other files and scripts required ? I get that feeling when I look at that code..

• Megagamerx1 16/05/2011, 1:43 am

We probably just need to find the files that the script is mentioning and add those, too.

• Drake Remore 16/05/2011, 1:46 am

Most definitely you can insert files before the build. That’s how they get all those modules and files into the system. It’s the write-to-image part of the build process that locks down the file system. I have built one myself and can confirm that. It’s a pain to build, but I had automated the process as I did the commands.

Thus far, this is what I’ve done to build my version on the Dell Mini 1012:

./set_shared_user_password.sh
        ./setup_board –board=x86-generic
        ./build_packages –board=x86-generic
        ./build_image –board=x86-generic
        exit

Finally:
        Rename the build_image of your choice to [whateverImageName].img
        exec imagewriter
        echo “Use disk utility to safely remove the USB, insert USB into your Mini and power it on. Make sure you mini is set to read the USB as the first boot device.”

• Megagamerx1 16/05/2011, 1:39 am

Also… I could probably offer my computer as a monkey in this project… I could install Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64bit and go through the build process… assuming we figure out how to add files pre-build.

• Dinu 16/05/2011, 1:47 am

cool !thanks. . we will hunt down some info !

• Pedram 16/05/2011, 1:36 am

I’ve tried it on Dell Inspiron 6400 but my system was restarting during Wifi installation (sudo /etc/install_wl.sh) ! before getting any message 🙁

• Dinu 16/05/2011, 1:41 am

did you try that after installing it to HDD ?

• Dennis T 17/05/2011, 7:27 am

This Dell image worked on Dell Mini 10 with a Broadcom wlan card. It seems to work well the touch pad is insane and the settings don’t seem to calm it down much at all. Not sure if there is a fix for that but if there is it will be perfect.

• Dinu 17/05/2011, 1:38 pm

yea. the trackpad is crazy !! and settings are not getting saved .. and many issues 🙁

• Drake Remore 17/05/2011, 4:40 pm

Yea, the touchpad is way not configurable on the mini1012 and I was researching last night on Google. There are some reports that are similar but no solutions have been offered. I was hoping for a configuration file somewhere that mapped to the browsers mouse sensitivity settings. Perhaps the file is not getting updated.

And, AS HAS been the issue since the inception of Chrome, the touch pad doesn’t suppress when you click on two separate areas, which causes the cursor to hop around wildly. Very annoying and you find this with low-maintained versions of linux’s X, not ones like Ubuntu.

• Dinu 17/05/2011, 9:49 pm

but the trackpad on my dell mini was working properly with vanilla build .. ok, may be worked almost well .. dont know what happened with this build

• Karen 20/05/2011, 8:44 pm

I am a windows person so I think I need to know how to overlay on this command, if the file already exists:

sudo /etc/install_wl.sh

Thanks for helping the challenged.

• Drake Remore 20/05/2011, 9:46 pm

What do you mean by overlay? What are you trying to do?

• Karen 20/05/2011, 10:54 pm

First, I have a Sony laptop that I can mess up so I have been putting various builds on it but the wireless does not work. I am trying to take the Vanilla build from Hexxeh and insert a new file of wifi drivers on to the machine that is working on the LAN version of your May 13 build (no wifi). I was using a Drake Remore mount command that I saw above. The message I got was “insmod…error inserting …cfg80211.ko -1 file exists”. Once against, this is a Windows person being VERY creative so you can tell me to forget it. I thought maybe I just needed to overwrite the file.

• Karen 17/05/2011, 7:56 pm

I was able to get WiFi working on my Lenovo G550 using your instructions. Thank you for posting the information.

I have an older Sony sub-2lb. laptop that has been working with Hexxeh ‘Flow’. I cannot get the WiFi to work on that Model with the May 13 build.

• Dinu 17/05/2011, 9:47 pm

ok, then try the Vanilla build from Hexxeh .. 🙂 it may work.

• George 17/05/2011, 9:28 pm

Will this image work with HP Mini 210-1000????

• Dinu 17/05/2011, 9:35 pm

you can give it try … boot it from USB .. dont wipe your hard drive yet ..

• Florian 19/05/2011, 2:46 am

Does anyone know if this will work on a 3 years old Dell Mini 12?

• Drake Remore 19/05/2011, 2:51 am

@Florian,

You have nothing to loose in trying. When you burn the image into a USB and boot up, it doesn’t install. You can actually use chromiumos on your usb key (with wireless) and when you’re done, just turn off and take the key out. You can keep that key and use chromium whenever you want.

It takes effort to install it on the hard drive, something that you wouldn’t do ‘on accident’. So, give it a whirl! I like it. It’s limiting, I mean, you can’t print, view images, download videos or listen to music on your hard drive, etc, but for the most part, for browsing, it’s fun. make sure to go to the Google web store and install lots of apps. It makes the experience more enjoyable! I found some cool apps, games too!

• George 20/05/2011, 1:34 am

Ok i ran the script, all went well, my wlan light turned on but can’t connect to my network D: does it matter if its WPA encrypted??

• Dinu 20/05/2011, 1:49 am

no, it should still work ( it worked in the actual build though ) .. did you try turning off WPA if that is an option

• Ronit 20/05/2011, 3:28 pm

Hey Guys,

Thanks for this forum. I have Dell Latitude D830 laptop. I found below wifi chip from my device manager:
    – Dell Wireless 1490 Dual Band WLAN Mini-Card
    I have downloaded the image, wrote on USB 4GB Pen Drive, stated Chromiums os. But it stucks at the initial installation screen, wifi is not working, not even my 3G usb modem working, all in all its not getting any Internet, so i m not able go ahead. Control+Alter+T command is also not working. I have also tried another versions of chrome os but all stuck up at initial screen.

Please help someone!!

Thanks,
    Ronit

• Dinu 20/05/2011, 4:44 pm

can you confirm if you have brodcom wireless card ?

• Ronit 21/05/2011, 5:39 pm

Dinu,
        Thanks for quick reply 🙂 Below are my comments:
        When I go to Device Manger -> Network Adapters , I can see below listed hardware:
        1. Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit controller
        2. Dell Wireless 1490 Dual Band WLAN Mini-Card
        3. Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter
        4. VirtualBox Host – Only Ethernet Adapter
        Please let me know if any other details are required.

Thanks…

• David L 21/05/2011, 2:28 pm

Any idea how to enable the clock and battery indicator? I didn’t care initially but I am starting to miss them.

• dell refurbished netbooks 04/06/2011, 10:23 am

Thanks for shearing. before that user can’t download Chrome OS. user can only use it on a computer that came with it. You can, However, Download Chromium OS. Which is the Open Source testing version of Chrome OS. Same thing with Google Chrome and Chromium.

• Topher 10/06/2011, 1:11 pm

Hiya –

Thank you for putting this together and moderating the comments here.

I was able to download, complete the image, and then boot to my Dell Mini 10 (I think that’s what it is – I can’t find anything to the contrary) using the Dell image. I ran the script for wifi and all is well.

Two things:

1. there is a different login screen that comes up (looks like 3 steps across the bottom). You will need to plug in to your router/modem/network via ethernet in order to get past this. Once you get past it, you can then run the script for wifi and disconnect the ethernet.

2. sound does not work for me. The volume functionality appears to work (animation from buttons), however, no sound.

Though overall it is slow, it really isn’t any slower than running Windows. It is interesting and I am enjoying it – I use the chrome browser on my pcs.

Question: is there a way to utilize the storage of the HDD or is that just a thing of the past now? If it can be utilized, how does that work (i.e. explorer)?

Again, thank you for the instructions, the article, and to the many people who have posted their comments, tips, etc.

I am really looking forward to getting more out of my mini (hopefully with sound).

• Vinay 03/07/2011, 1:48 pm

I installed this on my Dell Studio 1555, wifi working without running any command, its fast, mouse pointer is smooth, only issues are – low screen resolution and no sound.

Wifi worked out of box.

• ron 19/07/2011, 6:24 am

when I try to install it it gives me “install:missing file operand”
    what do I do? I’m a noob with this stuff so be specific…

• Paul Matula 23/07/2011, 9:59 am

Over a year ago my sister managed to nerf our old Dell Inspiron. Months ago bored at college I got Hexxeh’s Chrome Flow to run well enough on it. Months later, the amazing people at Dell breathe it back into a brand new machine with this release! Thank you for the guide! Wifi up and running, fixed sound, however getting the Google Talk plugin is becoming a bear. I’ll let you know if I manage to get it up and how I got it to work.

• Jeff 03/08/2011, 11:26 am

Hi. Loading this up through the usb. It sticks at the first screen that has: Select Your Language, Select network. There isn’t anyway to Select network. The only thing on the dropdown is ethernet. When I plug ethernet in it just hangs at: ethernet connecting. Now when I press ctrl+alt+F2 I get the shell screen but it has localhost login: There is no way I can put in the id, I tried sudo, dell, dell1234 with every combination of dell and dell1234 for a password. I think that if I can login I can run the install wireless script and possibly get past the very 1st SELECT NETWORK screen. Anyone can help me get past this screen would be a great help. Thanks.

• Jeff 03/08/2011, 11:27 am

Oh this is on a Dell Mini 10.

• Paul Matula 03/08/2011, 12:27 pm

You’ll need to connect to ethernet at first before you can get it up and running.

• Andrew Mast 03/08/2011, 5:24 pm

Jeff, I have a mini1012 and got it to work. Try username chronos with password dell1234 or password chronos. You do need to make the ethernet work to get things rolling. You should be able to type ‘dmesg’ at the command line and see if there are messages concerning the ethernet connection, but I never had problems so I think you’ll be fine.

Try that!

• WJanowski 04/08/2011, 7:43 pm

Successfully installed on my HP MINI 1101. Been struggling with WiFi for week, thanks!

• Stop Yelling 04/02/2012, 8:49 pm

I have an HP Mini 110-1030CA and have been trying to get ChromeOS to work for a long time. How did you figure it out?

• anas 06/08/2011, 6:52 am

hi everybody,

im using dell mini 9 with 8gb ssd and currently installed chormium OS dell version, facing issue while installing wifi. ctrl+ALT+T and go to command line, then type shell and then when i type sudo /etc/install_w1.sh, it asked for the password…and when i typed password dell1234 it says command not found.. kindly help me out.. thanks and regards

• Andrew Mast 06/08/2011, 6:09 pm

Try typing the following at the command line:

sudo ./install_wl.sh

Also, check how you typed it. Your above question had a (one) 1 for the command…. w1.sh which is not the executable’s name…. use a (L) l which is what it is.

Also, if prompted for passwords after entering dell1234, try chronos or no password (just hit enter).

• Vivek 26/08/2011, 5:34 pm

Working beautifully with my C702TU….it uses a broadcom wifi card. Thx to dell and dinsan. only problem now, touchpad (alps) is very slow, even with sensitivity setting high.

• Baz 29/08/2011, 9:14 am

I gather this Chromium build doesn’t support connecting to ad hoc wireless networks, such as those generated by many mobile phones like the iPhone (ie. using MyWi etc).

• Brian 04/09/2011, 7:24 pm

I was able to connect the Dell Mini 12 to an EVO phone using the tether, slow but it worked.

• Brian 04/09/2011, 7:39 pm

Thanks for posting about this, I am happy to have Chromium running on my Dell. As we all know Google iterates often, does anyone know of a way to keep a bit more up to date on the latest version of Chromium?

• Gabriel 10/09/2011, 4:15 pm

Thx!!!!! work really perfect and fast, no problems, its just follow steps and have fun ! =D

• andreusdwm 15/09/2011, 2:55 am

No go on Latitude D520

• Brandon J. Carr 10/10/2011, 3:19 am

I’ve installed everything properly on my Dell Inspiron Mini 10, but I can’t get the Wifi bit working. I ran the sudo /etc/install_wl.sh thing and it plugs along and does several lines of code. Then when I go back to System > Internet, there’s an “Enable Wi-Fi” button. When I press it, it turns gray. From what I can tell, turning gray is its only function.

There are no other options or places to go and it is absolutely possible I’ve done something wrong.

Help?

b

• Kevin 10/10/2011, 3:17 pm

If you have a dell mini 1018 it uses realtek drivers, so the broadcom fix will not work.

• Kevin 10/10/2011, 7:07 am

I’ve made a patch to fix the icons “wifi, battery, etc…”. These were broken on May13th and fixed on the 14th.

1. Download the following files.

2. Open a Terminal “Ctrl+Alt+T”.

3. Type “shell” and press enter.

4. Type “sh ~/Downloads/patch_chromium.sh” and press enter.

5. Enter your password (default is dell1234) and wait for the script to finish.

6. Optional – remove the files you downloaded. “rm ~/Downloads/patch_chromium*”

That should be it. Here is a screenshot.

• dickie 11/10/2011, 4:42 pm

Hello there, i have just downloaded the patches but when i run the cmd in the terminal window i get the error that the file can not be found. I have a Dell A90 with chromium installed on the SSD. wOULD YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS?

• Dickie 10/10/2011, 7:38 pm

Just installed Chromium OS on my A90, It went without a hitch apart from i have had a few sound issues. I will sort this out later but for now it is a great surfing machine

• Kevin 11/10/2011, 11:02 am

I forgot that I made the script look for patch_chromium.tar.gz. Here’s the correct way to install this patch.

1. Download these files.

2. Open a Terminal “Ctrl+Alt+T”
    3. Type “shell” and press enter.
    4. Type “cd ~/Downloads” and press enter.
    5. Type “sh ./patch_chromium.sh” and press enter.
    6. Enter your password “dell1234” and wait for the script to finish.

• Dickie 12/10/2011, 12:08 am

Thanks for the guide. Everything is now as it should be.

• Dan 18/11/2011, 3:14 am

Kevin, thank you for this elegant solution – works perfectly on Dell Mini 9. I took a posted a link to this thread and a copy of your instructions at mydellmini.com forum (with all the credits to you). Hope you would not mind…

• John Fleming 17/10/2011, 9:19 am

using a Dell Mini 1210 and it works fairly great off USB. sound doesn’t work, but trackpad is great and wifi works after u go through ethernet to get logged in, as mentioned above by others. I hope to DUAL BOOT along side my windows xp installation. Any tips on the easiest way to do this? my wife loves my chromebook (i got a free one through the pilot program) and her dell mini isn’t the same after putting in a new hard drive (she dropped it only 1 foot from the couch to the floor and the first HDD died!)

• Kevin 18/10/2011, 4:55 pm

I’ve made a script that should take care of your sound problem.

Download the script.

1. Open a terminal “ctrl+alt+T”
      2. Write “shell” and press enter.
      3. Write “sh ~/Downloads/patch_sound.sh”
      4. Optional – “rm ~/Downloads/patch_sound.sh” to remove the script.

Return to your browser by typing “exit” twice or “alt+Tab”.

• Sam 24/10/2011, 5:07 am

This audio fix also worked on a Dell Mini 9

• Andy Bleaden 18/10/2011, 12:26 am

Thanks for those really helpful fixes Kevin.

• Kevin 18/10/2011, 4:56 pm

Happy to help.

• phil 20/10/2011, 2:26 am

Hi Kevin,
    I have to rerun the sound script every time I reboot my netbook.
    Is there any way to keep it permanent?

• Kevin 21/10/2011, 9:13 am

The script adjusts volume, turns all speakers settings on, saves these settings and creates an updated configuration file. Everything should be permanent.

I didn’t test it on a fresh install but if anything is wrong with the script i’m pretty sure what it may be. I’ll check it out tomorrow and post an updated version if this is the case.

Do me a favor and reboot your machine, open a terminal, type “shell” and do the following:

1. Type “cat /etc/init/alsa* | grep restore” – tell me if it echos alsactl restore or if it’s just blank.

2. Type “alsamixer” and press “ctrl+F5” – this will take a screenshot.

3. Type “alt+Tab” to toggle between your browser and the terminal.

4. Go to http://www.imageshack.us and upload your screenshot. – the file is saved to “chronos/user/Downloads/Screenshots” post the link to your screenshot.

Thanks.

• phil 24/10/2011, 11:28 pm

Hi,

Answers

1) Does echos alsactl restore.

2) Alsamixer shows only +values on the Main & PCM sliders.
    when you turn up the speakers and headphone sliders it still doesn’t work.

Post script run:
    I also notice when you plug headphones in the sound comes out of both speakers & headphones until you use Alsamixer to mute the speakers.

Sound card is a Realtek ALC268 in Dell Mini10.

IF you really need the screenshot let me know.

Cheers,

Phil.

• Kevin 25/10/2011, 2:41 pm

Phil,
      The May14th build isn’t reading alsa-default.conf. I’ll check out May15th-June1st and see what build works the best.

For now just open a terminal and type “alsactl restore” instead of running the sound script everytime.

• phil 25/10/2011, 12:09 am

Has anyone been able to get Moonlight working on a Chromium system?

I know ‘sky go’ works with the latest Chrome browser version & ie tab on Windows XP.

cheers,
    Phil.

• John Fleming 25/10/2011, 12:45 am

I’ve been trying to install this version of Dell’s Chromium along side a dual boot with Windows XP on my Dell Mini 12 (1210). I followed the instructions at http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/wiki/doku.php?id=dualboot_winxp except for substituting the C-ROOT and C-STATE partitions from the Dell Chromium image (above) via USB Stick instead of Flow or Vanilla. I am using Grub4Dos 4.3 stable version, i have a new SSD 32 GB with 1.2 Gb set aside for the C-STATE and 3.4 Gb or so set aside for the C-ROOT partition.

After the dual boot shows up, i select Chromium OS instead of windows, then it goes to the GRUB4dos boot menu and select Chromium OS and then i get an error that says

“Booting Chrome OS
    Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2 rw noresume noswap i915.modeset=1 loglevel=1 quiet
    Error 2: Bad file or directory type
    Press any key to continue…”

and I’m trying to figure out how to get this fixed. Any ideas? google searches were fruitless.

• Leandro 29/10/2011, 6:32 am

Hi,
    I have installed this build on my Latitude D620 on the hd.
    Everything works ok with ethernet.
    But when a try to install wifi using the script install_wl.sh it runs quickly and reboot.
    Can anyone helps.
    Thanks,
    Leandro

• robert 02/11/2011, 6:45 pm

hi, i’ve installed this on my dell inspiron 1210 and it works great, much faster than windows 7 that i came with.. however i dont know how to revert back to windows 7 (I thought when installing that it would be a dual boot automatically but i was wrong) can anyone help me?? Thanks

• Matt Watson 14/11/2011, 5:20 am

Has anyone found a solution to the dodgy trackpad issue with the Dell chromium build for the mini 10 ? It’s driving me crazy!

I’ve searched and searched, but no joy 🙁

Matt

• Nick Gerdes 19/11/2011, 11:34 pm

I’m trying to do the ‘sudo /etc/install_wl.sh’ and after I type password, it runs through the code then immediately reboots. When I log in again, the wireless is not working. I tried this initially running the OS from a USB, then tried installing on the hard drive, and got the same results.

• Nestor 01/12/2011, 10:52 am

Hi, well i have a inspiron 1110 (11Z) I booted up chromium from my flash usb and then i installed the wifi package, but i can´t surf in the web or log into my account, i try wireless and wired without success (and im conected). I only have as result a page telling me that the page does not exist or i have coneccion problems (obviously). please anyone can tellme what i´m doing wrong.

Big thanks !!

• ixthus68 09/12/2011, 8:04 am

Well, I got wireless to turn on on my latitude D530 but it doesn’t detect any wireless networks and when I add them manually it does not connect. Is there something I’m missing?

• Brad 18/01/2012, 1:39 am

I have just gotten done following the instructions and setting it up on my Asus Eee PC 1015PE. Everything so far works great except for the WiFi which is leaps and bounds above the simplicity to install and success of install from other version/download sites I have tried. Thank you, and if you know how to get the WiFi working, let me know. Thank you.

• Stop Yelling 04/02/2012, 8:26 pm

Boots and runs fine on my HP Mini 110-1030CA

Wireless didn’t work so I ran the script and it showed up.

But it does not connect to any wireless networks.

🙁

I am dying to get ChromeOS run on this!

• Andrew Mast 05/02/2012, 7:43 pm

You need to try the latest Hexxeh Lime builds. They are almost daily builds and have worked well on my Dells. http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/lime.php

Start with the most recent build. If it doesn’t work, go back one more older build. I found that a build from a few weeks ago worked for me. Essentially you can try all of them and find one that works.

Unlike Dougs, these are build with Broadcom support, so you don’t need to run any scripts of anything. Just turn it on and rock out. ALSO, NOTE: If you boot up one of the lime images and it looks like it’s just sitting there with a blank screen or the “chromium” page, let it sit, as long as 10 minutes. The first time the OS loads, it sometimes takes a while. Not sure, maybe it’s probing for hardware or loading every module known to man. Either way, the next time it boots, it will be much less time.

• Andrew Mast 05/02/2012, 7:49 pm

PS, gestures work on Lime. Like, two fingers to scroll and zoom…. very nice on a netbook!

• Ido 24/02/2012, 5:10 pm

I can only get ti the main screen, it doesnt ket me pick a network in the main screen so I can’t move on…

• Andrew Mast 24/02/2012, 7:07 pm

@Ido,

What build are you one? That computer model are you installing against? Please try Hexxeh’s Lime from February 2nd. http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/download.php?track=lime&build=1384.0.2011_12_02_1643-ra19cf6e2&type=usb

• Rich 23/03/2012, 5:25 pm

Anyone have any idea how to get this going on a Inspiron 6400? I’ve tried all the images – lime, vanallia, dell. My laptop just won’t boot from USB SD card image – “No bootable devices–strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility”

• Andrew 23/03/2012, 6:16 pm

@Rich – From Ubuntu or another GNome installed Linux, format your USB drive with GUID format…. then create one gian ext4 partition for the space. Makes a huge difference.

• Rich 24/03/2012, 3:34 am

Hi @Andrew and thanks for your reply. A bit of a user error here… I’ve been trying to get it to boot from a SD card which isn’t USB. When I try to use a regular USB key everything works ok. User error!

• Yiong 23/12/2012, 9:40 pm

Hi, I have inherited a Dell Inspiron Mini 10, model 1010-5102, with Dell wifi 1397. for the last 3 weeks, i am trying to run Chromium on this netbook using the builds from Dell: Apr5’12, Jan3’12 and Dec18’11. When I boot it up from the USB stick(8 GB type) one build at a time, everytime I got system panic error and hang.
    I did some readings from the net, see success stories with dell mini 9 and 10v. Wonder if this particular model is not supported? Or should I try older builds and where I can get them, since Dell only shows the last 3 builds.
    I have tried latest build from Hexxeth, I got a different error during the boot time.
    Any advice is appreciated.

• g 14/09/2013, 3:05 am

Doesn’t work.
    ‘shell’ isn’t a command,
    nor does typing ‘shell’ do anything in this context. :

michael@michael-Inspiron-N5040:~$ shell
    No command ‘shell’ found, did you mean:
    Command ‘lshell’ from package ‘lshell’ (universe)
    Command ‘spell’ from package ‘spell’ (universe)
    Command ‘bshell’ from package ‘avahi-ui-utils’ (universe)
    shell: command not found
    michael@michael-Inspiron-N5040:~$ sudo /etc/install_wl.sh
    [sudo] password for michael:
    sudo: /etc/install_wl.sh: command not found
    michael@michael-Inspiron-N5040:~$

• geof 24/03/2014, 7:39 am

hi all
    got it working with wifi on a hp mini 210, but the pointer didn’t work till i used a usb mouse.

any info would be nice