A Simple Method to Upload Music to Google Play from a Chromebook

There is no direct way to upload your music from Chromebook to your Google Play Music account. But thanks toย , we have an easy workaround. This is easy to set up, and does not require any extension. Once set up, there is nothing much you have to do to keep this working.

chromebook-pixel-2015

However, this is bit time consuming if your internet connection is slow or have limited bandwidth to share.

The set up easy as I said.

Setup:
1. Install Music Manager and the Google Drive app on that Windows machine you’re no longer using.
2. Create a folder in Google Drive; call it “Music to Upload.”
3. Point Music Manager to watch the Music to Upload folder.

Upload:
1. On your Chromebook, save any music you want to upload to your Music to Upload folder in Google Drive.
2. Wait. (At this point, the music will upload to Google Drive, sync to your Windows machine, then upload to Google Play Music!)
3. Once you see the music show up in Google Play Music, delete the music from your Music to Upload folder, so it doesn’t take up any of your precious Google Drive space!

Try this out and let me know how it goes!

Thanksย Tyson Kempย for sharing this with me ๐Ÿ™‚

In Category: Chromebook

• Chaz 20/05/2013, 1:54 am ๎˜Š

Hello,

Forgive me for my ignorance, not very tech savvy. Can you please explain how to “point music manager to watch the music to upload file? Thanks!

• Samara 27/05/2013, 1:46 am ๎˜Š

Thanks! Why doesn’t Google Chromebook support music uploads??!

• unevenload 10/07/2013, 12:20 pm ๎˜Š

Can you please explain how to โ€œpoint music manager to watch the music to upload file? Thanks!

• unevenload 10/07/2013, 3:39 pm ๎˜Š

ok, i’m an idiot. downloaded gdrive to the windows pc then it appears as a folder. sorted.

• Diane 23/01/2014, 8:04 pm ๎˜Š

Thank you for answering your own question, because I’ve been using drive for years and did not realize you could actually *download* it. Guess I’m an idiot, too!

• Sean A 24/07/2013, 2:28 am ๎˜Š

Another dumb q here – are you saying that once the songs show up in Music Manager that they don’t need to stay as files in Google Drive in order to play? That’s how I read your tips, but it just makes the inability to directly upload to music manager seem that much more dumb.

• majestik 18/10/2013, 11:35 pm ๎˜Š

Once they are uploaded to music manager, you do not need to keep them in google drive. They are uploaded to the manager.

• Alex 14/08/2013, 8:48 am ๎˜Š

One more question. Do I have to have the windows computer on fro this to work? Or can I do this directly from my chromebook once it is set up on the windows pc?

• majestik 18/10/2013, 11:37 pm ๎˜Š

Yes you would need to constantly have the windows box running. When you put files into the folder on gdrive, it would have to sync to t windows box, then the windows music manager application running would monitor that folder for changes, see the change, upload to music manager, and voila. It’s in music manager.

The bigger question is why would google not figure out a way to upload music from a chromebook?? My files are in gdrive, and you would think you should be able to syn those with play music.

• I.H. Chomsky 10/11/2013, 4:11 am ๎˜Š

None of that works. At all. I’m not even sure what you’re talking about.