Google Chrome Browser for Windows RT – No, Not Yet!

Is Chrome an app on Windows 8 RT? Is it available from Google or Microsoft apps store for Windows 8.1? Unfortunately, no. Google is yet to announce Chrome for Windows RT. It sure is a disappointment.Read on to understand why Google Chrome is not available for Windows RT.

Google Chrome for Windows RT – No, Not Yet!

I got to see a few video reviews of Windows RT tablet on Google Plus. (Anyone getting one?). I did some search to see if Chrome is available for Windows RT. But no, the Chrome download page for Windows 8 says “Not Yet Available on Windows RT

Back in June, when they announced Chrome for Windows 8, the team did mention that Windows RT supported is not included.Chrome won’t run in WinRT, i.e. Windows 8 on ARM processors, they said.

Why is Chrome Not Supported on Windows RT?

windows 8  Google Chrome Browser for Windows RT   No, Not Yet!

Because Microsoft won’t let Google do so. The guys at Mozilla expressed their concerns too!. Users of Windows RT (ARM) also need choice of browsers!

For the past eight years, users and developers have enjoyed a Windows platform environment that offered users a choice of browsers to navigate their digital lives.  It wasn’t always that way. Prior to the launch of Firefox in 2004, there was really only one browser for Windows – Internet Explorer. Only IE and Firefox had meaningful market share on the Windows platform from 2005-2009. The choices further increased with the introduction of Chrome, and today users can choose from a wide range of browsers. It’s hard to imagine what it used to be like. Unfortunately, the upcoming release of Windows for the ARM processor architecture and Microsoft’s browser practices regarding Windows 8 Metro signal an unwelcome return to the digital dark ages where users and developers didn’t have browser choices.

So, looks like Windows RT users will have to stick with Internet Explorer, at least for now. Things may change if Microsoft changes their policy, but I don’t see that happening, anytime soon.

Did you get a Windows RT tablet, or are you planning to get one? Let me know!!

25 comments… add one

• I feel confortable with IE10 in my Asus Vivo Tab RT, its fast and super integrated in the OS.
    I can leave without chrome or other browsers, anyway they CAN write their RT browser UI, using ie as the rendering core engine.

• the problem is that what you are suggesting is the same basic thing that they did on the ios devices using safari as the core engine for firefox and chrome and they turned out worse than safari was to begin with.

• Whoever wrote that snippet in your article must not have been around in the early years. Netscape took up a pretty huge share of the Windows browser market back in the day. Then it was Mozilla and then Firefox.

IE 9 sucks big time for most users. But IE 10 has been a very pleasant surprise. I use Chrome on my Win7 dekstop instead of IE 9 but I wouldn’t bother changing out IE 10 if it continues to work well on Win8. Hell I may even switch back on Win7 if IE 10 works as well.

• They are rumored to be introducing IE 11 with windows 8.1 too…… most ppl and programs can barely use IE 10 and they are still thinking about updating……. its horrible!!!

• IIRC, Mozilla was actually built from the old Netscape code.

• I very like Windows 8 and its new UI but I will never order Windows RT unless I can be able to install Chrome browser.

• I smell another lawsuit coming from the EU. Hopefully The US will get in on it this time. This is unacceptable. FYI I own a Surface. I just want my Google back!

• just bought the chrome cast and then I find out about this and now I’m stuck with this. pleaseeee Microsoft make it available to windowsrt users.

• Oh by the way, why is there no alternative browser in ChromeOS? ;-)
    Why should Microsoft open Windows RT if Google is unable to do the same with their own OS?

• Because the operating system is a browser. There is no IE for other operating systems anyhow. Furthermore, why would you want anything else? Personally I have the Acer Chromebook which I installed Ubuntu on.

• Well… the lil RT tablet I was so enthralled with is going back! No chrome, no tablet – period.

• I hve rt! it’s good but ipad is better, it’s epic for ms, wait with intel proc real pc on tablet!! but now cut os rt has little free apps support.

• sorry, I missed – Surface RT

• WELL I JUST received my Asus VivoTab RT… I’m not happy to know that now ONLY…After being confused that maybe the tablet was broken or something… I was so happy to know that all my setup will be transfer with my google account… BUT NO… I miss my Google!!!

• have the surface and it is awesome. I don’t even use my ipad anymore..

• Really need chrome….. -surface Rt-

• I bought the Windows 8 with the RT system. Love the tablets versatility and that I can use excel and word but some of the main programs I needed for my business will not work with explorer so it is basically useless. I wish I had done more research. Very disappointed I cant use Chrome or Firefox

• This is garbage without Chrome. You can’t install anything outside the store on this thing. Tabs have been out for years now. Microsoft fail at tabs. I will never buy another one unless they start providing things people want. Chrome, Java, HTML5, etc. Without those plugins and apps this thing becomes a browser, crappy games and media device. We already have enough of those. We need mobility on the things we want to use. Not mobility on the things that are available on our phones.

• You will never buy another one? I’m surprised you’re willing to go that far! I plan to return mine and try it out again in a year or so.

• Did Microsoft forget the battle they fought with Netscape or maybe they think fighting that battle was “worth it” in the end? Either way, until the RT supports Chrome I will not be using it regularly. It also needs a decent selection of apps including pop3 email support.

The way I see it, Windows RT and Win8 Metro have been playing catch-up with iOS and Android and from the current state of things will continue to do so for at least the next couple of years. The fact that they are doing anything to hinder those efforts shocks the heck out of me. I suppose it makes sense if Microsoft only wants IE users to become surface users. Whatever the reasoning I hope they change their position soon because I see so much potential for the device and I would LIKE to see that potential realized with Windows 8 and the Office Suite.

• I recently bought an MS Surface RT on offer – 50% off which is a real bargain when you look at what you’re getting. Battery life is great, the sound is really impressive and screen, although I don’t think is full HD (I may be wrong) is great for watching things on the move. I [we] have been spoilt rotten with the integration that Chrome provides, and I really do wish I could have it on my tab. That being said IE10 has been – thus far – stable and a good experience.
    I did my research before I bought the Surface, in this day-and-age it’s just lazy not to do so. There’s no point in coming to a forum to complain about your own laziness. As far as the applications that will be available in the future, like Chrome – I have faith – it wasn’t even available on Android until ICS.

• I just bought my wife a new Yoga from Lenovo and after getting it up and running realized that I cannot install Chrome. I am incredibly disappointed as it is the only browser she uses across machines and with our new googlecast device. MS has really let me down on this one and I’m contemplating sending this machine back.

• I am so annoyed that I can’t download chrome on my new tablet. I got the Window Surface RT to replace my laptop because in college, a tablet is more convenient. Sadly, I can not replace the laptop because one of my school programs only run on firefox and chrome, and not IE. Fail Microsoft, FAIL!!!!

• We are a two Surface (RT) household and are still hoping to see Chrome show up at some point. Truthfully, IE is working just fine, but we got so used to Chrome on our laptops that we’d love to return to it.