How do you Disable or Enable Chrome Metro Mode in Windows 8? How does it work? What are the features you get on meto UI? Here is a quick tutorial.
Google Chrome in Metro Mode on Windows 8 looks more like a Chromebook. How do you enable or disable Google Chrome metro mode on Windows 8 computer? It is really easy.
The main reason I upgraded to Windows 8 soon after it was released is trying out Chrome and giving you some useful stuff. I’ve been using Windows 8 on my little netbook for a while now, but due to resolution limitations, I couldn’t run live tiles and many other things.
How to Disable Chrome Metro Mode in Windows 8
When you have Google Chrome on Metro Mode, click the settings icon, and choose “Relaunch in Desktop Mode“. This will restart Google Chrome in normal mode or desktop mode.
The desktop mode is your normal Google Chrome. You get to see rest of your computer screen and apps here. But the metro mode hides everything and puts Chrome in the center-stage.
How to Enable Metro Mode UI on Google Chrome
Its simple. You go to settings menu and select Relaunch Google Chrome in Metro Mode. So, that’s how you toggle between metro mode and desktop mode on Windows 8.
Open Chrome in Metro Mode
Once you have Google Chrome installed on Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, you can open it in metro mode using the Relaunch in Desktop Mode option.
What more do you get on metro mode?
- You get to run Chrome in full screen mode, the metro style.
- There will be a charms bar. From charms bar, you can access Chrome Settings.
- Charms bar has share option, which does not do much for now. I hope to see web intents working here please!
- You have the snapping option. From the top of the window, click and drag to activate this, like any other metro app.
- You can close the app by clicking and dragging it all the way to the bottom.
- When you have multiple windows open, you get a window switcher icon on the top right corner.
Making Metro Mode Default for Google Chrome
I thought this will be tough. Turns out, its pretty easy. There is nothing that you will need to do to handle this. If you run Chrome in Metro mode and close it, next time you open Chrome App, it will go straight on to the metro mode.
In the same way, if you close Chrome while in desktop mode, it will open back in desktop mode. Neat
How To Force Metro Mode or Desktop Mode on Chrome
Now, what if you want to tweak and poke Chrome app on windows 8 a bit more? I’ve got two flags for you to play with.
- force-immersive – This flag will force Metro mode for Chrome Windows 8 App
- force-desktop – This flag will force desktop mode for Chrome Windows 8 App
Did I miss anything? Is there something that you want me to try on Chrome + Windows 8? Do you have any tip for me to try? Do let me know!