Hate Google Chrome’s New “New Tab Page” Design? You Can Get Rid Of It Easily

When Chrome 15 came out, there were a lot of people who liked the new tab page design refresh, including me. However, reading through forums, and I find a large number of people who didn’t quite like this change.

This post is for them.

There is a simple method which will get rid of this new design and give you a blank new tab page. Follow these steps and at the end, close Chrome and open it again.

1. Right click the Chrome Icon

2. Select Properties

3. Select Shortcut tab if it is not already selected

4. Look for Target and the end of the target, add  –new-tab-page (It should now look like  C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe –new-tab-page)

5. Click Apply and then Okk

Your new tab page is all set for a design rollback. Close Chrome and open again. Did that work?

Share with your friends who will need this!!

• Chris 01/11/2011, 6:27 pm

This flag doesn’t actually work anymore, the developers begin removing the code for the old NTP, last I checked the flag will reduce the NTP to just the floating bookmarks bar. Fortunately the bookmarks bar was added back to the new NTP, which was the main reason why so many people hated it (myself included)

• PAEz 02/11/2011, 11:59 am

Personally I like to be greeted with my NTP pic when I open the ntp and the new ntp covers to much of it, so I add some code to the userstyle sheet to hide everything till I put the mouse over it.
    Below is the code I add, if you dont know how to get to the style sheet then just use my extension opener (I added an option for the style sheet) http://forum.valorsolo.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=269

html[hasattribution] #page-list > div:not(.bookmarks-page) .tile-grid{

html[hasattribution] .bookmarks-page{
    opacity:0.0 !important;
    -webkit-transition: opacity 0.2s linear;
    html[hasattribution] .bookmarks-page:hover{
    opacity:1 !important;

• handsomeorlandoman 02/11/2011, 9:38 pm

I still type almost everything in the address bar, I use the New tab page only two or three times per session. 😛

• Gordon Smith 07/12/2011, 12:07 am

Google support sends me ‘solutions’ that “Don’t Work” that are actual surveys – – With more work, I find this page with a fix that FAILS. The new tab SUCKS real bad forcing a slower method to scrolling over larger icons v the more efficient, simple, faster method of up on top.
    And Google is supposed to be smart improving yet this New Tab show a technician that is a Liability. I will go back to the old version &/or stop all together Chrome and back to Mozilla, truly a far better browser than C15 that SUCKS

• Mimi 17/01/2012, 1:45 am

I’ve been using google chrome for awhile now and I like the theme’s but when it was changed the tabs stay on. I liked looking at my theme without a large tab on it! I liked the old way where you could downsize the window tabs. Is there any way I can go back to the old way where I could actually enjoy the theme I picked out!?

Thanks Mimi

• PAEz 18/01/2012, 12:29 pm

Mimi – Nope, your stuck with it….sucks aye?
    The only reason I used the NTP was for the session support in the Recently Closed and now that seems to have been taken out aswell?….dam you Google 😉

• marjie 12/03/2012, 4:32 am

how do i print from new toolbar

• JTW 21/03/2012, 1:27 am

Why in God’s name can’t Google leave a good thing alone? If it ain’t broke DON’T FIX IT. I’ve been using google as my home page for years – but now that the’ve added iGoogle and Google+, it just aint worth shit.

I love to know haw to get EVERYTHING related google OFF of my PC.

• Wayne Bartelt 23/03/2012, 1:40 am

Just started Chrome and wanted to stay with it. New Tab Page involves more time than I want to invest in it.I thought Chrome would be faster, simpler, but it’s more complicated that IE. In Favorites, there’s an extra step to get to my favoites: first to bookmarks, then to bookmark manager, then to the item I want. i want to get to google news and then to email as fast as possible. One more try and them back to IE.

• emmy 29/10/2012, 8:16 pm