Recovery Mode Image Burner and Handler Settings for Chrome OS

A new “Image Burner” page has been added to Chrome OS to help users getting a USB drive ready for recovery mode. The installer will do the following:

1. Prompt the user to choose a target storage device to use as the RSD.
  2. Verify the storage device is large enough.
  3. Download the appropriate recovery software (recovery kernel + recovery root filesystem) and save it to the RSD.
  4. Download the appropriate recovery data (Chromium OS firmware + kernel + rootfs + recovery configuration data) and save it to the RSD.
  5. Prompt the user to remove the storage device and plug it into the netbook.
  6. Chrome OS ImageBurner

Chrome OS ImageBurner

The page links you to the recovery mode information on Chromium Code. Have a look here for more information. I will have this page updated as soon as I get to play with this.

Handler Settings Page

Another addition to the browser and the OS last week was the new settings page for custom handlers. With this new setting, you will be able to explicitly say to your OS to handle a specific protocol and mimetype with Chrome. This will be helpful for developers and users as well. Follow the discussion here for more info.

Handler Settings

Handler Settings

Handler Settings

Handler Settings

CR48 or Chromebook User ? Try This One !

This works only on Chromebooks and Cr48s, “Master Your Touchpad” Let me know how this works. I couldn’t try this because I am on a PC.

Did you find any interesting stuff recently ?

Thanks http://peter.sh and François Beaufort.

• Guest 31/05/2011, 8:11 pm

Can I install Chrome OS on my PC with that? Or should I just go to Hexxeh?

• Dinu 31/05/2011, 8:25 pm

that’s the first I thought too when I saw the UI … but looks like this is just for recovery … however, we will need to wait for more updates…

• robb 31/05/2011, 9:43 pm

my brother and i attempted the imageburner feature on saturday using the newest beta version (which is ahead of the dev version) of chrome os on our cr48s and it didn’t work. it downloads the image, but it fails when you try to write it to the external storage. nonetheless, it’s an awesome feature.

• Dinu 31/05/2011, 11:44 pm

hey !! thanks a lot of the feedback .. hmm, looks like this is still a work in progress 🙂

• robb 01/06/2011, 12:10 am

i’ll try it again when i get off work since the dev channel on the cr48 just updated to 13 today.

• Dinu 01/06/2011, 12:13 am

cool 🙂 I will try it on Chromium OS too, as soon as I can !

• Dinu 01/06/2011, 12:13 am

do u have a Tegra 2 device to test something cool ?

• Pedram 01/06/2011, 2:57 am

I’ve created an USB Live with latest Chrome OS (official build) and tried to install on a non-chromebook….
    After I’ve got some Errors finally installed but ALL OF MY HARD DISK DATA HAVE FORMATTED!!!!

Just try it if you have a Test system or don’t care about your data. I’ve installed it on a Dell Inspiron.

• Peter | Cloud High Club 01/06/2011, 6:27 pm

Hi Pedram. Does the Chrome OS on your Dell works normally?

• Pedram 01/06/2011, 7:47 pm

Hi Peter, The sound and Wifi didn’t work. But through USB tethering I had no issue and was working fine. I have installed another Chromium that has been issued by Dell (for mini) but again had problem with sound.

• Dinu 01/06/2011, 9:42 pm

uhmm what about auto update ? 🙂

• Pedram 01/06/2011, 10:53 pm

Dinu, Actually my Dell is my test machine and I didn’t keep it for longtime and just I’ve used it for less than one hour and then installed another one (mini Dell) that didn’t use it longtime again also I was not expecting to receive any update since I’ve got these fresh images through Linux before install.
            Right now I am trying to install Chromium alongside of Ubuntu and Windows. I had some issues and was not success this job but I would like to try with new Dev official build image that came yesterday for my Cr48 (0.13). Let’s see 😉

• jack 01/06/2011, 4:47 am

The drag and drop is awkward the way it is shown (using the thumb.) But everything is smooth as silk: unlike the early trackpad drivers!

• Cougar Abogado 03/06/2011, 4:25 pm

I’m unsure why the Cr-48 insists that I have a 4GB USB . . . I was able to create a recovery image on an iMac, this morning, using a 2GB USB just fine.

• robb 08/06/2011, 12:21 am

not to revive an older story, but i attempted the recovery image this morning on the cr48 and it worked really well. it downloaded the ‘stable .12.433.99’ image, which i’m guessing is the release candidate for the retail chromebooks. took about 7 minutes total for the download/backup process.