How to Rename Tabs in Google Chrome – Two Extensions

Imagine this. You are playing an online game from your office computer, and you have a work related webpage open on another tab. Your supervisor walks in. You can change tabs quickly to hide the game, but still,he can read the tab name right ? And he will come to know that you were playing games at office ..

rename tabs on Google Chrome

Yes, you can always pin the tab and hide the name.

But, what if you want to rename tabs ? I’ve two extensions for you to make things easier and smarter for you ! Both gives you an icon next to the address bar to let you change the name of the tab. Try them out, and let me know which one works better for you !

Install Rename This Extension

Install Page Title Change Extension

• marmite1972 06/12/2010, 6:08 pm

Hi there you asked to let you know which one works better for me….well they both work well but the Install Page “Title Change Extension” just has the edge because you can change the Favicon too!

• marmite1972 06/12/2010, 8:58 pm

lol on further use…the favicon reappears as you navigate through a site…the name change on the tab stays changed but the sites favicon reappears…is there anyway to not have to click “hide favicon” each page I visit?

• jburgie 11/03/2011, 12:37 am

Wow, I have been looking for something like this. I am going to try this out!

• Anon 17/03/2011, 10:59 pm

I agree that the Page Title is better because you can hide the favicon.

• Alessandro 07/01/2012, 10:48 pm

My roommate is a programmer (I don’t think this is the right translation) and I’ve just asked him to think how to develop an extension with those features because in the Italian “scenario” there is anything like those ones. Those are very well-done, particularly Page Title!

I apologize for my english.
    Alessandro

• Anon 21/01/2012, 5:36 am

Page title change is better, because it lets you disable the favicon.

• david 24/10/2013, 9:54 pm

This plugin does not work for Chrome v30.