How to Reorder Bookmarks in Alphabetical Order on Google Chrome

Managing bookmarks, is something that makes your browser experience better. It makes easier for us to find out something on our bookmarks. Until now, this feature was not available on Google Chrome. On the Dev version that  I am testing now, this feature seems available !! So, this feature wil be added to your browsers very soon.

Here is how to do it.

Click  tools menuon Chrome Tool Bar.
Click “Bookmarks Manager”
Click “Organize”
Click “Reorder By Title”

Update: An easier way to access and manage your bookmarks will be opening chrome://bookmarks/ in your omnibox (address bar). This will take you to the bookmark manager.

That’s it !!

• Helen Barbara Gray 10/03/2009, 2:25 pm

Re: Alphabetizing bookmarks There is no“Reorder By Title” on the “organize” menu of my Google Chrome. Is it only on the “dev” versions? Guess I’ll just be patient and wait till the update happens.

• chrome story 10/03/2009, 5:55 pm

that’s correct .. you will be getting this feature with next update …
      now you know how to change it when you have the update !

• janice Dexter 07/05/2009, 8:31 am

My google chrome does not have reorder by title either so how long will it be before we get this? I do find google chrome confusing, but I suppose I will get used to it eventually. I do love the fact that it is a lot faster.

• chrome story 07/05/2009, 9:32 pm

if not on the stable version, this feature should be on the beta version now … did you check our post on how to change to beta ? do that, change to beta, and test it again, it should be there

google chrome is not very confusing, I bet u will find it more easy very soon !! good luck !!

• janice Dexter 08/05/2009, 8:12 am

thanks I will try it.

• TimO 26/10/2010, 10:37 pm

…and yet to other sort options.

I desperately need a “sort by date” option, with the newest at the top.

• chrome story 26/10/2010, 11:01 pm

makes sense ..

• Reshma 19/07/2011, 11:01 pm

Hi TimO,
      You must have noticed by now the “recent”option, right at the bottom. It sorts by the day – all the things you starred for that day, with the newest at the top.

• rickoh 09/11/2010, 5:39 pm

I want to put my bookmarks in alphabetical order but if I click on tools…..bookmark manager….organize……..the ‘reorder by title’ is grayed out…????????
    any way around this??

• chrome story 10/11/2010, 2:38 am

you might want to try uninstall and reinstall then !

• rickoh 10/11/2010, 4:11 am

helloooo…..I have about a hundred of them….Im not going to uninstal then install them again….

• chrome story 10/11/2010, 11:30 am

sync them using chrome’s inbuilt feature and you will never loose them !

• Reshma 19/07/2011, 11:11 pm

Hi Rickoh,
      This is because you have not indicated the folder in which you want to reorder. Just click on any bookmark in the displayed folder/ the folder in the tree view/ left sidebar and try again. If you want to reorder the folders alone, click “Bookmarks Bar” folder in the left sidebar and reorder by title.

• joanie 15/01/2012, 2:42 am

You have to highlight the the “Other Bookmarks” folder in the left column first. Then click on “Organize”

• rickoh 10/11/2010, 4:03 pm

hey…never thought of that…..thanks a lot

• Drefbluer 28/12/2010, 4:44 pm

I recently joined up with
    I’m intending to look round a lttle bit and meet fascinating folks and discover several alternate viewpoints.

Hopefully this didn’t get put in the wrong area. Please forgive me if it does.

Mine Cutting Machine Operator

• peacherie 29/12/2010, 11:29 am

I have been observing as a lurker for a while now.
    I determined that I want to get involved and socialize with the men and women here.
    I’m expecting to interact with lots of enlightening people and learn some fantastic stuff.

I really hope this post doesn’t end up in an inappropriate area. I’m hoping you’ll forgive me if this is inappropriate.

Purchasing Manager

• Len 27/03/2011, 11:59 pm

I did as instructed, including clicking Organize By Title, but nothing changed in the Favorites.

• Reshma 19/07/2011, 11:13 pm

Hi Len,

• Len 20/07/2011, 3:39 am

Reshma–I don’t understand what you mean. What folder? I tried it, nonetheless, and and now no Bookmarks bar appears at all.

• Len 20/07/2011, 4:00 am

Reshma–I figured out what you mean. My bookmarks are all in the Other Bookmarks folder (I don’t know why). I reordered them by title. But the Bookmarks bar no longer shows, as I noted earlier.

• Len 20/07/2011, 4:04 am

Reshma–I’m feeling like a dummy. I found the Show Bookmarks bar in Options. I hadn’t unchecked it, which is why I hadn’t looked there earlier. Thanks for your interest and help.

• Reshma 20/07/2011, 11:45 am

I was talking about how to do it in the Bookmark manager, which has no shortcut. In the main post above, the shortcut given is the one to show bookmarks bar(Dino correct it). In the effort to open the bookmark manager using that shortcut, you must have have toggled it off/ hid the bookmarks bar.

You have all your bookmarks in the other bookmarks folder because you did not specify ” choose another folder” in the ” folder ” drop down menu, in the pop up which is visible after you star a page.

At first (bcz you are yet to create folders), only two options – bookmarks bar & other bookmarks are available. Select bookmarks bar option. Next, click on any empty space in the bookmarks bar/ bookmarks bar folder in bookmarks manager and select option add folder.

You can drag and drop your existing folders/bookmarks from other bookmarks folder to the bookmarks bar folder in the bookmarks manager/bookmarks bar.

I’ ve added some info to my first reply to you –
          If you want to reorder the folders(by name, not contents) alone, click “Bookmarks Bar” folder in the left sidebar and reorder by title.

• Dinu 20/07/2011, 2:39 pm

thanks for taking time to explain this in detail and finding my error. I have corrected the post now 🙂

• Reshma 20/07/2011, 2:52 pm

Thanks for telling us stories about chrome. 🙂

• Len 21/07/2011, 2:05 am

Reshma–“Other Bookmarks” appears instead of the Bookmarks bar. I have no problem with this. Is there any reason I need to transfer my many bookmarks to “Bookmarks Bar”? (By the way, I find Organize By Title to sometimes miss moving some titles. I had a desktop app I found on Google that organizes Chrome bookmarks, and it always worked perfectly. I deleted it when I found the Chrome organize-by-title, and forget its name.) Thank you.

• Reshma 21/07/2011, 11:18 am

Len- Did you import them from google bookmarks? If you transfer them, you’ll have them displayed side by side – easy to access. Select a folder and highlight a bookmark within it before reordering them.

• Thomas 10/10/2011, 2:34 am
  • maxcat 29/02/2012, 9:56 pm

I Hate Change! Just put my explorer Favorites back! New is not better Geeks.